Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone else take the fundamentals of engineering (FE) exam yesterday?

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    Anyone? I took it. I think I passed. We will see in 2 months. I took the general exam in the afternoon. The morning section was a breeze but the afternoon section was kinda difficult for me. I am an EE and I am bad at some of the ME stuff. Unfortunately, the exam seems to be skewed toward mechanical engineering subjects.

I walked out of the exam room with like 30 minutes to spare for both the AM and PM sections. I wish I would have used that time to go back and try to work some of the problems that I had to guess on. Oh well. I just wanted to get the heck out of there.

If I passed then I need to acquire 4 years of engineering experience and then take the Professional Engineer (PE) exam. Then I will have an engineering license.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2
    Yea I took it at the exam site in Pomona yesterday. I thought there was alot of mechanics ( strength of materials) type of questions on both the morning and afternoon general test. I saw some fluids, and thermodynamics questions. I only saw 1 heat transfer problem and it was ridiculously easy. The weight of the amount of topics is probably different for each time they administer the exam.

4. Oct 25, 2009 #3
    How do you become eligible to take this exam?

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

6. Jan 4, 2010 #5
    Update: I passed the exam. Now all I need to do is work for 4 years and take the PE exam.

7. Jan 4, 2010 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Congratulations! Keep up the good work! :approve:

8. Jan 4, 2010 #7
    and in another 4 years after that a PF exam

9. Jan 5, 2010 #8

minger

Science Advisor

Do note that typically the licensing boards will count any type of co-op experience as work experience. Also, make sure that your profession requires/wants/desires a PE license. While common for civil engineers, I'm not sure how important it is for EE's, but it seems like a lot of work just to write John Doe, P.E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook