Anyone else take the fundamentals of engineering (FE) exam yesterday?

In summary, anyone can take the FE exam, but it is harder for those who are bad at math and have no mechanical engineering experience. The exam is biased towards mechanical engineering subjects. One must be enrolled in an accredited engineering program and have 4 years of work experience. Once eligible, one takes the exam at a testing site.
leright
Anyone? I took it. I think I passed. We will see in 2 months. I took the general exam in the afternoon. The morning section was a breeze but the afternoon section was kinda difficult for me. I am an EE and I am bad at some of the ME stuff. Unfortunately, the exam seems to be skewed toward mechanical engineering subjects.

I walked out of the exam room with like 30 minutes to spare for both the AM and PM sections. I wish I would have used that time to go back and try to work some of the problems that I had to guess on. Oh well. I just wanted to get the heck out of there.

If I passed then I need to acquire 4 years of engineering experience and then take the Professional Engineer (PE) exam. Then I will have an engineering license.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea I took it at the exam site in Pomona yesterday. I thought there was a lot of mechanics ( strength of materials) type of questions on both the morning and afternoon general test. I saw some fluids, and thermodynamics questions. I only saw 1 heat transfer problem and it was ridiculously easy. The weight of the amount of topics is probably different for each time they administer the exam.

How do you become eligible to take this exam?

Update: I passed the exam. Now all I need to do is work for 4 years and take the PE exam.

leright said:
Update: I passed the exam. Now all I need to do is work for 4 years and take the PE exam.
Congratulations! Keep up the good work! :approve:

leright said:

and in another 4 years after that a PF exam

Do note that typically the licensing boards will count any type of co-op experience as work experience. Also, make sure that your profession requires/wants/desires a PE license. While common for civil engineers, I'm not sure how important it is for EE's, but it seems like a lot of work just to write John Doe, P.E.

1. What is the fundamentals of engineering (FE) exam?

The FE exam is a standardized exam that tests your knowledge in various engineering topics, such as mathematics, ethics, and core engineering principles. It is the first step in the process of becoming a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the United States.

2. Who is eligible to take the FE exam?

Typically, individuals who have completed or are close to completing their undergraduate engineering degree are eligible to take the FE exam. Each state has its own specific requirements, so it is important to check with your state's licensing board for eligibility criteria.

3. What is the format of the FE exam?

The FE exam is a computer-based exam that consists of 110 multiple choice questions. The exam is 6 hours long, with a 25-minute break in the middle. You are not allowed to bring any outside materials or calculators, as an electronic calculator will be provided on the exam.

4. How long does it take to receive the results of the FE exam?

Results for the FE exam are typically available 7-10 days after the exam date. You will receive an email notification when your results are available, and you can view them on the NCEES website.

5. What happens if I do not pass the FE exam?

If you do not pass the FE exam, you are allowed to retake the exam after a waiting period of 3 months. However, it is recommended to thoroughly review the material and identify areas of weakness before retaking the exam. Each state has its own specific rules and requirements for retaking the FE exam, so it is important to check with your state's licensing board for more information.