Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone quit a bad habit lately?

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1
    Just quit a bad behavior ,that ate a lot of my time.Did anyone quit anything?how long did it take you?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I've quit smoking loads of times.

4. Sep 3, 2013 #3
    I quit smoking about four years ago. Staying quit pretty much takes most of my bad habit quitting willpower. I have also quit regular gaming but I go on a binge on the very rare occasion that an actual good game appears The only thing I would quit is my two beers a day routine but it's never going to happen.

5. Sep 3, 2013 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I quit smoking over two years ago. Haven't had a tough time with it at all. I still have willpower problems in other departments though, like staying fit.

6. Sep 3, 2013 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I struggle to keep my speed down when I drive. I had it under control for several years but now that I have a hellish commute, I often catch myself doing 80+ mph in 60mph zones.

7. Sep 3, 2013 #6
    Don't tell me it was mangas, please don't.

8. Sep 3, 2013 #7

Evo

I recently stopped drinking alcohol completely, I had previously cut down, so it was a non-issue.

I also have given up my frozen tv dinners and started the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension), the DASH diet reduces the risk of many diseases, including some kinds of cancer, stroke, heart disease, heart failure, kidney stones, and diabetes. It's basically how I used to eat, except I am not planning to limit my salt intake as I don't use much salt anyway.

9. Sep 3, 2013 #8
    A bad behaviour sounds more like an addiction to something. It's tough to stay away from whatever it is but I promise it gets better over time. Depends though, if your "bad behaviour" was consistent, might be tougher.

10. Sep 3, 2013 #9
    I quit something recently, and I'm really glad I did.

11. Sep 4, 2013 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I quite smoking years ago now. The only bad habit I have was recently acquired; changed from talking to inanimate objects to cursing them.

12. Sep 4, 2013 #11
    My eldest sister tends to attack(verbally) people she dislikes and yet there is no reason as to why she dislikes them. If people around ask why, she speaks up nonsensical non-related things. I don't know what to do to help her quit it! Is that a habit ?

She can memorize things very well, especially numbers. I observe and find her ideas shared with people are pretty *discrete* during most of the conversations we have but I suppose that can be considered as her good *contribution* although most of her ideas are not updated information we need (repeated old things). She does have a psychological issue.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  13. Sep 4, 2013 #12
    I stopped eating refined carbs and sugars about two weeks ago and I feel great! Pretty much just eat turkey, chicken, pork, fish, fruit, veggies. I completely lost my taste for red meat.

I am also trying to stop meeting a women at bars so much, as they are usually not smart enough for me (though one time I met this incredibly sexy and intelligent woman who wanted to be a librarian - she was afraid to go on a date with me though because she was 26 and I was 20 :( ).

14. Sep 4, 2013 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In my case it's not an attack, it's a habit from my linear engineering thinking. The change to cursing is an "old age" thing.

15. Sep 4, 2013 #14

Borek

Quite the opposite.

16. Sep 4, 2013 #15
    I think it is not quite true. It mostly depends on who people daily interact with.
    The transition occurs to all ages in general.

17. Sep 4, 2013 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm totally with your sister on this one, inotyce. People make me curse all the time, too, but although it's an admittedly bad habit I have no plans to quit.

Well, OK, I'll quit when people stop being so damn stupid.

18. Sep 4, 2013 #17
    What am I missing?!?

19. Sep 4, 2013 #18

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay. You're right. I do curse at people who make stupid mistakes that should be obvious, albeit under my breath.

20. Sep 4, 2013 #19
    No...kind of.:tongue:

21. Sep 4, 2013 #20

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Been there, cursed that. I've had that habit for a long time.

My last episode was a garage door button that fell off of my rear view mirror. I was attempting to see how it went back in place when it fell out of my hand. It went straight under the seat, under the computer for the nav system and then under a flap of carpet under that. Most of my statements were like "WTF are you doing under there???", "Damn you, get out of there", etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook