Calculating When to Replace Cobalt-60

• Thread starter priscilla98
  • Start date
In summary: It's okay but how did you get 2.1827 years? Thanks a lotWell k is still the same, the only thing I changed is what is on the left of the equation.
priscilla98

Homework Statement

Cobalt-60 has a half-life of 5.26 year. The cobalt-60 in a radiotherapy unity must be replaced when its radioactivity falls to 75 percent of the original sample. If the original sample was purchased in November of 1996, when will it be necessary to replace the cobalt-60?

Homework Equations

ln ( No / Nt ) = kt

t 1/2 = .693 / k

The Attempt at a Solution

I know we can find k constant by using t 1/2 = .693 / k.

k = .693 / 5.26
k = .1317

And we can use the ln ( No / Nt ) = kt and for No = 75 and Nt = 25.

- Am I doing this right? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well since you are having a decay, your k value should actually be -.1318.

When it's radioactivity falls to 75% of the original, you will have only 1/4 of the original.
So now we have to play around with the exponential decay formula to get t. I'll give you the start.

[tex]\frac{1}{4} = e^{-.1318*t}[/tex], hope this gives you a start! Remember that we are looking for t in years :D

MysticDude said:
Well since you are having a decay, your k value should actually be -.1318.

When it's radioactivity falls to 75% of the original, you will have only 1/4 of the original.
So now we have to play around with the exponential decay formula to get t. I'll give you the start.

[tex]\frac{1}{4} = e^{-.1318*t}[/tex], hope this gives you a start! Remember that we are looking for t in years :D

Right, out of 75 percent, only 25 percent would be left. But I'm a little confused about this problem. Okay, when you plug in e^(-.1318) = .8765. Okay wait I see the approach you're taking to solve this.

1/4 = (.8765) (t)
.25 = (.8765) (t)
.2852 = t

Does it seem logical that 75% of a substance will be gone in .2852 years when half-life is only 5.26 years? No right?
I see your mistake though.
I would have done:
[tex]\frac{ln(\frac{1}{4})}{-.1318} = t[/tex] I would get to this by taking the natural log of both sides only living me with [tex]ln(\frac{1}{4}) = (-.1318)t[/tex] then dividing both sides by -.1318.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

MysticDude said:
Does it seem logical that 75% of a substance will be gone in .2852 years when half-life is only 5.26 years? No right?
I see your mistake though.
I would have done:
[tex]\frac{ln(\frac{1}{4})}{-.1318} = t[/tex] I would get to this by taking the natural log of both sides only living me with [tex]ln(\frac{1}{4}) = (-.1318)t[/tex] then dividing both sides by -.1318.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Okay, I'm pretty sure I understand. Okay, therefore, it would be 10.52 years.

Yes and now to answer the question, we would have to add 10.52 years to the year 1996, which is 2006.52. So in 2006.52, you would have 75% of the Cobalt-60 gone :D

Okay thanks a lot.

- Have a good weekend :)

priscilla98 said:
The cobalt-60 in a radiotherapy unity must be replaced when its radioactivity falls to 75 percent of the original sample.

Falls TO 75%, not BY 75%.

Borek said:
Falls TO 75%, not BY 75%.

OH GOSH, I must have read "Falls 75%"...wow.

In other words, t should be 2.1827 years. Making it 1998.1827. Wow, makes me wonder why I can screw up some physics problems. Thanks Borek.

SORRY priscilla98 :(

MysticDude said:
OH GOSH, I must have read "Falls 75%"...wow.

In other words, t should be 2.1827 years. Making it 1998.1827. Wow, makes me wonder why I can screw up some physics problems. Thanks Borek.

SORRY priscilla98 :(

It's okay but how did you get 2.1827 years? Thanks a lot

Well k is still the same, the only thing I changed is what is on the left of the equation.
I originally had this:
[tex]
\frac{ln(\frac{1}{4})}{-.1318} = t
[/tex]
but now I just had this:
[tex]
\frac{ln(\frac{3}{4})}{-.1318} = t
[/tex]

That's all :D

1. How do you calculate the half-life of Cobalt-60?

The half-life of Cobalt-60 can be calculated using the formula t1/2 = ln(2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln is the natural logarithm, and λ is the decay constant. The decay constant for Cobalt-60 is 0.693 years^-1.

2. What is the average lifespan of a Cobalt-60 source?

The average lifespan of a Cobalt-60 source is approximately 5.27 years, based on its half-life of 5.26 years. This means that after 5.27 years, half of the original amount of Cobalt-60 will have decayed.

3. How often should Cobalt-60 be replaced in a medical facility?

Cobalt-60 should be replaced in a medical facility every 5-6 years, depending on the specific regulations and guidelines of the facility. This ensures that the source remains effective and safe for medical use.

4. What factors contribute to the decay of Cobalt-60?

Cobalt-60 decays due to the emission of radiation, specifically gamma rays. This decay is a natural process and cannot be influenced or accelerated by any external factors.

5. Are there any risks associated with handling Cobalt-60?

Yes, there are risks associated with handling Cobalt-60 due to its radioactive nature. Exposure to high levels of radiation can be harmful to human health. Therefore, proper training and precautions must be taken when handling Cobalt-60 to minimize these risks.