Ap physics b question (high school)

In summary, two stones, one dropped from a 75m building and the other thrown downward with an initial velocity, hit the ground at the same time. The initial velocity of the second stone can be found using kinematic equations by first determining the time it takes for the first stone to reach the ground, and then calculating the time the second stone has to reach the ground. The correct initial velocity for the second stone is -24.34 m/s.
zhanglshi
a stone is dropped from a 75m building. when this stone has dropped 15m, a second stone is thrown downaward with an initial velocity such that the two stones hit the ground at the same time. what was the initial velocity of the second stone?

please use kinematic equations. that is all i know on this subject. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you give it a try? Use kinematic equations, of course.

Start by figuring out how long it takes for the first stone to reach the ground.

well the first stones velocity is 38.340m/s and the time is 3.912s. but idk where to go from there..

zhanglshi said:
well the first stones velocity is 38.340m/s and the time is 3.912s. but idk where to go from there..
OK. How long does it take for the first stone to reach 15 m? Then figure out how much time the second stone has to make it to the ground.

i am confused on something. i didntt understand the problem well enough so i restarted my work. for the 1st stone, is the final velocity 0? if so, then when i used the v=v(initial)-at, my equation was 0=0+(-9.8)(t) and i got t=0. that is obviously false but idk what i did wrong.. i am terribly confused ):

zhanglshi said:
i am confused on something. i didntt understand the problem well enough so i restarted my work. for the 1st stone, is the final velocity 0?
No, but its initial velocity is zero, since it is just dropped, not thrown.

but when the stone is at 0m, isn't its velocity 0?

zhanglshi said:
but when the stone is at 0m, isn't its velocity 0?
No. It just fell 75 m, so why would you think its velocity would be zero? (We're talking about just before it hits the ground.)

oh right. so i got t=2.161 for the2nd stone to hit the ground. i used thex=x(not)=v(not)^2+(1/2)at^2 and got v(not)=-28.654. but according to my answers sheet its supposed to be -24.34. i have no idea what i did wrong..

zhanglshi said:
oh right. so i got t=2.161 for the2nd stone to hit the ground.
OK.
i used thex=x(not)=v(not)^2+(1/2)at^2
That should be:
[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

Related to Ap physics b question (high school)

1. What is AP Physics B?

AP Physics B is a high school level physics course that covers topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. It is an advanced placement course that is designed to prepare students for college level physics.

2. What are the prerequisites for taking AP Physics B?

The recommended prerequisites for taking AP Physics B are Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Trigonometry. It is also recommended that students have taken or are currently taking a high school level physics course.

3. What is the format of the AP Physics B exam?

The AP Physics B exam consists of two sections: multiple choice questions and free response questions. The multiple choice section has 70 questions and students have 90 minutes to complete it. The free response section has 3 questions and students have 90 minutes to complete it. The exam is scored on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest score.

4. What is the difference between AP Physics B and AP Physics C?

AP Physics B covers a wider range of topics in physics, while AP Physics C focuses more on mechanics and electricity and magnetism. AP Physics C is considered to be more challenging and is often taken by students who are interested in pursuing a degree in engineering or physics in college.

5. How can I prepare for the AP Physics B exam?

There are several ways to prepare for the AP Physics B exam, including studying course materials, practicing with past exams and questions, and seeking help from teachers or tutors. It is also important to have a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry, as these concepts are heavily used in the course and exam.