AP Physics-Temperature and Heat

• Thread starter salemchic05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Heat
In summary, the conversation discusses a concept question about the phenomenon of the mercury column in a mercury-in-glass thermometer dropping slightly before rising when inserted into boiling water. The question asks for an explanation, and potential answers involve the transfer of heat and its effects on the glass. The speaker also mentions that similar questions may not appear on their upcoming exam.
salemchic05
I have a concept question that asks, "When the bulb of a mercury-in-glass thermometer is inserted into boiling water, the mercury column first drops slightly before it begins to rise. Account for this phenomenon." I have no idea why. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
salemchic05 said:
I have a concept question that asks, "When the bulb of a mercury-in-glass thermometer is inserted into boiling water, the mercury column first drops slightly before it begins to rise. Account for this phenomenon." I have no idea why. Any ideas?
How does the heat get to the mercury in the bulb? (ie. there are only three ways to transfer heat: convection, radiation or conduction). So what does the heat do to the glass?

AM

salemchic05 said:

well, the good news is that there will probably not be any questions of that sort will NOT be on the ap exam. before i took mine last may, i did about four or so old exams. not once was there a conceptual problem in thermo of that nature. (...and I'm not sure if there were any conceptual problems in thermo at all. don't remember any.)

1. What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, while heat is the total energy transferred between two objects due to a difference in temperature.

2. How are temperature and heat related?

Temperature and heat are directly proportional to each other, meaning that as the temperature increases, so does the amount of heat transferred.

3. What is the unit of measurement for temperature and heat in AP Physics?

Temperature is typically measured in degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K), while heat is measured in joules (J).

4. How is thermal equilibrium achieved?

Thermal equilibrium is achieved when two objects or systems reach the same temperature, and there is no net transfer of heat between them.

5. How does heat transfer occur?

Heat can be transferred through three methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.