Is It Expensive to Move Out and Furnish an Apartment?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary: If you have a bed and desk with chair, you're covered on basic furniture requirements until you can slowly acquire more. Even in the kitchen, you can start out with very minimal items and just slowly add to them as you need things. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd provide you with some dishes and glasses. I have more than I know what to do with (I have a couple of incomplete sets from when pieces broke, but it's still more than enough for someone in a first apartment). Actually, one set, I never even bought. When I got my first apartment, they were abandoned in the
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So here they are...

http://stupidbobby.8m.com/apartment.html

There is a caption under all the pictures. Pictures of my bedroom aren't up because my room is complete yet. The costs of moving out on your own is high. I need to buy everything. Can opener, cutting board, garbage bins, couch, and so on. Lots of that stuff is usually in student housing or you share what you bring and such. It adds up fast.

Note: Moonbear, I can upload your pictures on my site too if you'd like. Be easier to link to, and you won't lose it that's for sure. I've had that site for like 4 years now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Very nice, Jason. Perfect!

Love the art, too.

lisab said:
Very nice, Jason. Perfect!

Love the art, too.

Thank you. :smile:

It's a great little place. I can stay here a long time I'm sure. Because it's so small, I don't feel too lonely. But also that's hard to tell cause I go out a lot, and my friend lives 3 doors down. Also, more friends plan on moving closer. A lot them want to live near us. Haha. So that's nice.

Very nice looking place, Jason.
Just one point of curiosity; I always thought that you were male. So what's this **** about a cutting board? That's what you use the knee-pads for when you're at home.

Nice, Jason! I like that lightbox-topped bookshelf thing you have.

Does your refrigerator have antennae so it can communicate with the homeworld?

Nice place. I like the desk.

Its a great apartment, I bet it already feels like home. Congrats!

Nice.I like the collection,presumably growing,of bottles.

Nice apartment, Jason! It reminds me of my first apartment.

And, yes, moving out on your own is expensive. You don't have to get everything at once. I lived for years with sheets thrown over cardboard boxes as end tables (it makes it easy to move the furniture from place to place...turn it over, fill it up with stuff, and carry it out :biggrin:). If you have a bed and desk with chair, you're covered on basic furniture requirements until you can slowly acquire more. Even in the kitchen, you can start out with very minimal items and just slowly add to them as you need things. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd provide you with some dishes and glasses. I have more than I know what to do with (I have a couple of incomplete sets from when pieces broke, but it's still more than enough for someone in a first apartment). Actually, one set, I never even bought. When I got my first apartment, they were abandoned in the cupboards. Same with glasses...lots of partial sets. Before I had a dishwasher, I used to break a lot of glasses when washing them (the sink was porcelain coated and very hard when things slipped into it with soapy hands).

Cool place, Jason. And yes, I can sympathise. There were so many things I took for granted as just "coming" with a place because I'd not seen anyone actually purchase one the whole time I was growing up. Like a can opener. Imagine my surprise the first day I tried to open a tin of soup. It hadn't occurred to me to purchase one up until then. And Christmas decorations. Those come-with the attics of houses, do they not?

Congratulations to you. Yes, it's expensive to get organised at first. Dollar stores are great resources for inexpensive glasses, dishes, and large kitchen utensils. Enjoy! I remember adoring my very first place that was all my own so much. It was a studio apartment in the attic of a converted old house in downtown Ottawa. I loved everything about it!

Welcome to your new adventure.

Thanks for the pix, Jason. Looks like a pretty nice little place - nicer in fact than most of the apartments that my wife and I lived in while I was chasing good-paying construction jobs. She didn't have a driver's license then, so we had to find places withing walking distance of jobs that she could take. As a result, I hate big towns. We had to live in some neighborhoods that were less than ideal, so that's a big part of it.

From the pictures, it looks like your place is already well-furnished and comfortable. Nice!

I spy one Springer GTM, one Microsoft Press:

122yo15.jpg

Moonbear said:
Nice apartment, Jason! It reminds me of my first apartment.

And, yes, moving out on your own is expensive. You don't have to get everything at once. I lived for years with sheets thrown over cardboard boxes as end tables (it makes it easy to move the furniture from place to place...turn it over, fill it up with stuff, and carry it out :biggrin:). If you have a bed and desk with chair, you're covered on basic furniture requirements until you can slowly acquire more. Even in the kitchen, you can start out with very minimal items and just slowly add to them as you need things. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd provide you with some dishes and glasses. I have more than I know what to do with (I have a couple of incomplete sets from when pieces broke, but it's still more than enough for someone in a first apartment). Actually, one set, I never even bought. When I got my first apartment, they were abandoned in the cupboards. Same with glasses...lots of partial sets. Before I had a dishwasher, I used to break a lot of glasses when washing them (the sink was porcelain coated and very hard when things slipped into it with soapy hands).

Very expensive.

I don't need much. I had a lot of basics stuff myself, but even the ones I was missing cost a pretty penny. I had no cutting board either! Just about everything you think about, and I thought I had it all covered before.

I have very few dishes. I got 4 plates, 4 bowls, 3 cups, 1 mug, and some utensils. That's it.

Oven isn't working right now though. I have to call the landlord for that now.

turbo-1 said:
Thanks for the pix, Jason. Looks like a pretty nice little place - nicer in fact than most of the apartments that my wife and I lived in while I was chasing good-paying construction jobs. She didn't have a driver's license then, so we had to find places withing walking distance of jobs that she could take. As a result, I hate big towns. We had to live in some neighborhoods that were less than ideal, so that's a big part of it.

From the pictures, it looks like your place is already well-furnished and comfortable. Nice!

Oh man, I lived in a rough apartment last year too. Fridge wasn't working, no stove, no sink in the washroom, the fuse box didn't work so well. I had nothing. One chair to sit on for me and my roommate, no table to eat on, air mattress to sleep on, no TV or radio, literally nothing.

Working at apartment complexs I was able to score a few nice bits of furniture that people were tossing out in their move.
Over time I picked up a coffee table, a dvd tower, and three book cases. All of them match even!
And that is pretty much all of the furniture I own. I was more concerned about the kitchen. I had raided my packrat grandmother's kitchen for some basics but still spent at least a couple hundred dollars on more stuff, all of it cheap walmart junk.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Working at apartment complexs I was able to score a few nice bits of furniture that people were tossing out in their move.

That's a really good idea...drive around large apartment complexes near the end of each month, or around student neighborhoods right about this time of year when they're all moving out. Especially if an apartment was occupied by all graduating seniors who don't have anyone to pass stuff along to, they might just decide it's easier to throw things away than to pay the cost of moving it or storing it somewhere while they leave town for new jobs.

Sometimes it's also worth a drive around the fancier neighborhoods on the evening before trash collection (not if it's raining, though). Some people will redecorate every few years and just put the old, still very nice and useable furniture at the curb because they just don't care to deal with selling it and assume someone will drive by and find it before they have to pay for trash removal.

What happened to the link?! i wanted to check out some pics of the apartment! I'm looking myself, trying to get some ideas. I like some of the properties around U of H here: http://urbanleasing.com/houston-loft-apartments . What do ya'll think?

1. What is "Apartment Pictures Finally"?

Apartment Pictures Finally is a website that allows users to upload and share pictures of their apartments. It serves as a platform for people to showcase their interior design and decorating skills, as well as get inspiration from others.

2. How do I upload pictures to "Apartment Pictures Finally"?

To upload pictures to Apartment Pictures Finally, you must first create an account. Once you have an account, you can click on the "Upload" button and select the pictures you want to share. You can also add a title, description, and tags to your pictures to make them more searchable.

3. Is "Apartment Pictures Finally" free to use?

Yes, Apartment Pictures Finally is completely free to use. There are no hidden fees or subscriptions required. However, you must create an account to upload pictures and engage with other users on the site.

4. Can I edit or delete pictures on "Apartment Pictures Finally"?

Yes, you can edit or delete pictures on Apartment Pictures Finally. Simply go to the picture you want to edit or delete and click on the corresponding button. You can also edit the title, description, and tags of your pictures at any time.

5. How can I search for specific apartment pictures on "Apartment Pictures Finally"?

You can search for specific apartment pictures on Apartment Pictures Finally by using keywords or tags in the search bar. You can also filter your search results by date uploaded, popularity, or user ratings. Additionally, you can browse through different categories such as living room, bedroom, kitchen, etc.