Applying a square wave (from 0 to 5V) on a RC circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a square wave in an RC circuit and the resulting positive and negative values at the output resistor. The question is raised about the role of the capacitor in creating a phase difference and the need for assistance in understanding this phenomenon. It is explained that the capacitor is blocking the DC component of the square wave and is referred to as a DC blocking capacitor in this configuration.
brad sue
Hi,
I am working with capacitor now and I have this question. I am applying a square wave (from 0 to 5V) on a RC circuit.
At the output ( at the resistor) I get a positive and negative values? why is that ?
I am suspecting the fact that the capacitor create a phase difference of -90 degree(between voltage and current)..but I cannot figure out the correct answer.
please can someone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The capacitor is blocking the DC component of your 0-5V square wave. The DC offset of the driving source does not matter if you couple it to the load resistor with a capacitor. The cap is referred to as a DC blocking capacitor in this configuration.

Thank you very much berkeman!

1. What is a square wave?

A square wave is a type of waveform that alternates between two levels, typically a high level and a low level. It is characterized by its sharp, abrupt transitions between these levels.

2. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electronic circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). It is commonly used to filter or shape electrical signals.

3. How does applying a square wave affect an RC circuit?

Applying a square wave to an RC circuit will cause the capacitor to charge and discharge repeatedly, resulting in a varying output voltage. The frequency and amplitude of the square wave will determine the characteristics of the output signal.

4. What is the significance of the voltage range from 0 to 5V in this experiment?

The 0 to 5V voltage range is commonly used in electronic circuits and is within the safe operating range for many electronic components. It allows for a wide range of input voltages to be tested without risking damage to the circuit.

5. How can this experiment be useful in real-world applications?

Applying a square wave on an RC circuit can be used for various purposes, such as filtering and shaping electrical signals, generating clock signals for digital systems, and testing the response of electronic components to varying input voltages. It is commonly used in electronic design and testing, as well as in signal processing applications.