Applying for internships and REUs

• Admissions
  • Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internships
In summary, the speaker is a student who has completed various courses in physics, math, computer science and astronomy and is looking for an internship in a physics or astronomy-related field. They are seeking advice on how to find and apply for internships and REUs and are wondering if they will be able to secure one with their current level of education. The expert suggests starting at their own school and checking department websites, as well as reaching out to professors for research opportunities. They also recommend searching for REUs on Google and provide a link to the NSF website for current programs. The speaker has already completed one REU and applied to multiple others. The expert advises applying to as many as possible due to high competition.
Sheneron
Hi,
A little background first:
At the end of this school year I will have completed the first two physics courses (mechanics, and E&M), calc 1-3, linear algebra, 2 years of computer science, and astronomy 1 and 2.

This summer I would really like to do an internship somewhere with something involving physics. Ideally I would like to do something astronomy related, but if not I wouldn't mind something related to any kind of physics.

So I was wondering what is the way to go about finding and applying for internships and REUs. Is there a good website to do this, or is it necessary to talk to someone in the department at the school?

Any advice on going about this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh also, do you think I would be able to get an internship in physics considering I will have only completed the first two courses?

Physics news on Phys.org

I got my first REU at my own school (in math), thus i think its best to start there. Most of the time these things will be announced in department websites. If not, simply start asking professors doing research you would find interesting if they would be interested in giving you research tasks. Sometimes they will have expendable funding and pay you (This is essentially an REU, and I have done this as well.)

If you want to go elsewhere, just plug in REU in google and you will get all sorts of locations (usually for the summer). These will probably pay you more and include travel fees and room and board. Good luck.

http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm

This is the NSF page listing all REU programs currently running. Good luck! Remember to apply to as many as you can since they are very competitive.

Thanks for the advice and links

I did one at a nearby school the first summer, and then applied to pretty much all the REUs on the AAS website ( http://aas.org/education/REU.php ) the next summer - and got into half of them. Experience is always a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Applying for internships and REUs

1. What is an internship and REU?

An internship is a temporary work experience that allows students to gain practical skills and experience in their field of study. REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a program that offers research opportunities for undergraduate students in STEM fields.

2. How do I find internships and REUs?

There are several ways to find internships and REUs. You can search online job boards, company websites, career fairs, and through your university's career center. Networking with professionals in your field can also help you discover opportunities.

3. When should I start applying for internships and REUs?

It is recommended to start your search and application process at least 6-9 months before the desired start date. Many internships and REUs have early deadlines and a competitive application process, so starting early can increase your chances of getting accepted.

4. What should I include in my application for internships and REUs?

Your application should include a resume, cover letter, and any relevant academic transcripts. It is also important to tailor your application to each specific opportunity and highlight any relevant skills and experiences that make you a strong candidate.

5. How can I make my application stand out?

To make your application stand out, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant skills and experiences, and a well-written resume and cover letter. Additionally, networking and obtaining relevant research experience can make your application more competitive. It is also important to follow the guidelines and instructions provided by the internship or REU program when submitting your application.