Applying Gauss' Law for Calculating Work Req'd to Move Charge

In summary, the electric field between two plates is q/(e^2L). The electric field between two plates is q/(e^2L) until a charge is transferred to the other plate. Then the electric field is q/(e^2L) + q/(epsilonL).
lawsonfurther

Homework Statement

A capacitor has two square plates that are d apart. Each plate is L×L. The capacitor is initially uncharged.
(a)Calculate the work required to move q of charge from one plate to the other.
(b)Calculate the work required to move an additional q of charge from one plate to the other.

Homework Equations

Gauss's law
definition of work

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand how to apply the Gauss's law to get the electric field.
My attempt was that W=Fd=qEd. And to find the electric field strength E, we need to imagine a Gaussian surface enclosing the plate from where you want to remove the charge, which will be a pill box in this case. So when I am trying to find out the area where the field goes through, should I count only one side of the pill box(either top or bottom) or both sides of it?
From the correct answer provided as W(a)=q^2d/(2L^2(E0)), where E0 is the epsilon in Gauss's law, it seems like I should count both sides of the imaginary pill box. But I am not quite convinced of it.
Can anyone explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
lawsonfurther said:
the area where the field goes through, should I count only one side of the pill box(either top or bottom) or both sides of it?
For two equally and oppositely charged plates, placed close together, how do you think the field lines are arranged?

haruspex said:
For two equally and oppositely charged plates, placed close together, how do you think the field lines are arranged?
The field lines will point from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plated and they will be perpendicular to the surface of the plates, if ignoring the edge effect.

lawsonfurther said:
The field lines will point from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plated and they will be perpendicular to the surface of the plates, if ignoring the edge effect.
Right, so all the field lines go through one side of the pill box only. There is nothing to count on the other side.
Or, looking at it another way, in the region outside the plates the two fields cancel.

haruspex said:
Right, so all the field lines go through one side of the pill box only. There is nothing to count on the other side.
Or, looking at it another way, in the region outside the plates the two fields cancel.
Okay. But in question (a) when those charges are on their way from one plate to the other plate which is initially neutral, the other plate shouldn't have any charge until those charges reach it. So in other words, shouldn't there be no electric field coming from the destination plate until the whole process is done?

lawsonfurther said:
no electric field coming from the destination plate until the whole process is done?
No. Transfer a small amount of charge at a time. The potential increases all the while. It is an integral.

haruspex said:
No. Transfer a small amount of charge at a time. The potential increases all the while. It is an integral.
Well, I still don't get it. If I count only one side of the pill box, then E(L^2)=q/(epsilon) which means E=q/(E0L^2) with E0 being epsilon. Then if I use W=qEd, then the work I get will be q^2d/(E0L^2). Am I finding the right thing?

lawsonfurther said:
Well, I still don't get it. If I count only one side of the pill box, then E(L^2)=q/(epsilon) which means E=q/(E0L^2) with E0 being epsilon. Then if I use W=qEd, then the work I get will be q^2d/(E0L^2). Am I finding the right thing?
The charge increases from 0 to q.
Suppose at some point we have moved a charge Q across. What is the field now? What work is required to move the next instalment ΔQ across?
(It is unfortunate they used d for the plate separation. Can we agree to call it D instead? Otherwise there will be confusion with calculus notation.)

Well, if we have done moving the charge Q to the other plate, the field between two plates should have been q/(E0L^2) as I found above. But after that, we need to remove another ΔQ again from the original plate. So shouldn't the field be altered during the process of transferring that amount of ΔQ?
Or are you saying that for the first part of the question, the charge I removed will create a field that will partially cancel out the field created by the original plate so that the net electric field outside the original plate (not in between the plates) should be zero?

lawsonfurther said:
if we have done moving the charge Q to the other plate, the field between two plates should have been q/(E0L^2)
The question specifies "q" as the total charge moved. I introduced "Q" to represent the charge moved so far at some stage in the process. So Q starts at 0 and increases to q.
lawsonfurther said:
shouldn't the field be altered during the process of transferring that amount of ΔQ?
Sure, but ΔQ is small, so the increase in the field has little effect on the work required to move that ΔQ. This is how integration works.
So how much work is required to move the ΔQ?

1. How do you apply Gauss' Law to calculate the work required to move a charge?

To apply Gauss' Law for calculating the work required to move a charge, you first need to determine the electric field at the starting and ending points of the charge's motion. Then, you can use the formula W = q∫E·ds, where q is the charge and E is the electric field, to calculate the work required.

2. What is Gauss' Law and how does it relate to calculating work in moving a charge?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electrostatics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. This law can be used to calculate the electric field at a point due to a charge distribution. By knowing the electric field, we can then calculate the work required to move a charge through that field.

3. Can Gauss' Law be applied to all situations involving moving charges?

No, Gauss' Law is only applicable in situations where the electric field is constant. It cannot be used for situations where the electric field is changing over time or is not uniform.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the work required to move a charge?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force on the charge. If the electric field and the direction of motion of the charge are parallel, the work required will be positive. If they are anti-parallel, the work required will be negative. If they are perpendicular, no work is required as the force and displacement vectors are orthogonal.

5. Is Gauss' Law only applicable to point charges or can it be used for continuous charge distributions?

Gauss' Law can be applied to both point charges and continuous charge distributions. For continuous charge distributions, the total charge enclosed within a closed surface is calculated by integrating the charge density over that surface. This allows us to use Gauss' Law to calculate the electric field and ultimately the work required for moving a charge through that field.