Applying Kirchhoff's Laws to Solve Circuit Problems

• Thread starter Masterx00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the equations for a homework statement are incorrect because they only involve in or out. Kirchhoff's first law must be used to solve for the current in the circuit.
Masterx00

Homework Statement

Find I1,I2,I3

Homework Equations

Attached the circuit diagram

2. The attempt at a solution

I1 - I2 + I3 = 0

-120I1 - 60I2 + 0I3 = -1.8

0I1 -60I2 -20I3 = -1.2

I1 = 1/150 A

I2 = 1/60 A

I3 = 1/100 A

Is that correct ? The answer is my textbook is different :(

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Masterx00! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Masterx00 said:
I1 - I2 + I3 = 0

Nooo … :redface:

I took the 1st loop clockwise and the second loop anticlockwise, so why the 1st equation is wrong then ?
Can you please explain further ? :)

Masterx00 said:
I took the 1st loop clockwise and the second loop anticlockwise, so why the 1st equation is wrong then ?
Can you please explain further ? :)

Your 1st equation (I1 - I2 + I3 = 0) doesn't involve loops, it's for a vertex, so it only involves "in" or "out".

According to the diagram, I1 is in, and both I2 and I3 are out. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Your 1st equation (I1 - I2 + I3 = 0) doesn't involve loops, it's for a vertex, so it only involves "in" or "out".

According to the diagram, I1 is in, and both I2 and I3 are out. :smile:

But, If I made it I1 - I2 - I3 = 0, I1 = 0, I2 = 0.03, I3=-0.03, that sounds correct ?

Masterx00 said:
I1 = 0, I2 = 0.03, I3=-0.03, that sounds correct ?

No … how did you get that? :confused:

Kirchhoff's first law says that the current into a juction is equal to the juntion out. So use that on the top middle junction and have another think about that first question (remembering the directions of currents!)

Could I also ask if the current directions were given or if you chose them?

tiny-tim said:
No … how did you get that? :confused:

By substituting it with the other 2 equations (using the calculator eqn solver):
I1 - I2 - I3 = 0

-120I1 - 60I2 + 0I3 = -1.8

0I1 -60I2 -20I3 = -1.2

Masterx00 said:
0I1 -60I2 -20I3 = -1.2

No, I2 and I3 are in opposite directions.

aha
Now it gives correct answer (0.02,-0.01,0.03), I though direction of I3 was same like I1, because of the direction of the drawn battery poles :shy:
Thanks for help tiny-tim :smile:

Related to Applying Kirchhoff's Laws to Solve Circuit Problems

What is Kirchhoff's law problem?

Kirchhoff's law problem refers to a set of mathematical equations that are used to analyze complex electrical circuits. These laws, named after German physicist Gustav Kirchhoff, are used to determine the voltage and current values at different points in a circuit.

What are the two laws in Kirchhoff's law problem?

The two laws in Kirchhoff's law problem are Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit is equal to zero, while KVL states that the algebraic sum of voltage drops and gains around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero.

How are Kirchhoff's laws applied in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's laws are applied in circuit analysis by setting up a system of equations based on the circuit components and using Kirchhoff's laws to determine the unknown values. This allows for the calculation of voltage and current values at different points in the circuit.

What are the key assumptions in Kirchhoff's law problem?

The key assumptions in Kirchhoff's law problem are that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that all voltages and currents are constant, and that there are no magnetic fields present. These assumptions allow for the accurate application of Kirchhoff's laws in circuit analysis.

What are some common applications of Kirchhoff's law problem?

Kirchhoff's law problem is commonly used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, including power systems, control systems, and communication systems. It is also used in other fields such as electronics, physics, and engineering to analyze and understand complex systems.