1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying Newton's Laws, motion with constant acceleration

1. Oct 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    QUESTION- ANL3.png

2. Relevant equations
    F=m*a
    ΣF=0
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly, I tried to work on the normal force of bowling ball. But I can't get the answer. I don't get the idea that bowling ball could be kept at constant height, I didn't really understand the question guess. Can anybody explain it to me step by step?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2016 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

If the wedge is pushed towards the ball with just the right acceleration, the net force between the ball and the wedge will be normal to the wedge and the ball will remain at a fixed height on the wedge (but the whole system will accelerate for as long as the force can be maintained). The horizontal force will be that needed to accelerate the combined system of the wedge and the ball with the necessary acceleration.

4. Oct 23, 2016 #3
    pl. show the force diagram on the ball as well as the wedge ...then one can visualize the motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted