Applying Newton's Laws, motion with constant acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to solve for the normal force of a bowling ball on a wedge. However, the concept of keeping the ball at a constant height on the wedge is confusing. It is suggested to draw a force diagram to better understand the motion.
Mert Kerem Yavuz

Homework Statement

QUESTION- ANL3.png

Homework Equations

F=m*a
ΣF=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I tried to work on the normal force of bowling ball. But I can't get the answer. I don't get the idea that bowling ball could be kept at constant height, I didn't really understand the question guess. Can anybody explain it to me step by step?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the wedge is pushed towards the ball with just the right acceleration, the net force between the ball and the wedge will be normal to the wedge and the ball will remain at a fixed height on the wedge (but the whole system will accelerate for as long as the force can be maintained). The horizontal force will be that needed to accelerate the combined system of the wedge and the ball with the necessary acceleration.

Mert Kerem Yavuz said:
Firstly, I tried to work on the normal force of bowling ball. But I can't get the answer. I don't get the idea that bowling ball could be kept at constant height, I didn't really understand the question guess. Can anybody explain it to me step by step?
pl. show the force diagram on the ball as well as the wedge ...then one can visualize the motion.

1. What are Newton's Laws of motion?

Newton's Laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do you apply Newton's Laws to motion with constant acceleration?

To apply Newton's Laws to motion with constant acceleration, you must first identify the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the net force on the object. Finally, use the equation for constant acceleration (a=v/t) to calculate the object's velocity and position over time.

3. What is a constant acceleration?

A constant acceleration is when an object's velocity changes at a constant rate. This means that the object's speed increases or decreases by the same amount in each unit of time. This can occur when a constant force is applied to an object, such as gravity pulling an object towards the ground.

4. How is the concept of inertia related to Newton's Laws of motion?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This concept is related to Newton's first law, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, an object with more mass has more inertia and requires a greater force to change its motion.

5. Can Newton's Laws be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's Laws of motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. These laws are fundamental principles of physics and can be used to describe the motion of any object, from a falling apple to a planet orbiting the sun.