1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying Parseval's relation to finding an integral

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the result of the integral without using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus:
    ##\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^2{t} \cos{2t} dt##,​
    given the orthonormal basis ##\left\{ \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \cos{t}, \cos{2t} \right\}##.

2. Relevant equations

Parseval's relation, as per my lecture notes:
    Let ##V## be an inner product space with an orthonormal basis ##\{ x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n \}##. Then ##\forall u,v \in V##, with ##u=\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n a_i x_i## and ##v=\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n b_i x_i##, we have
    ##\langle u,v \rangle = \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n a_i \overline{b_i}##, where
    ##a_i = \langle u, x_i\rangle## and ##b_i = \langle v,x_i\rangle##.

The inner product we were using in this particular example is defined by ##\langle f,g\rangle := \dfrac{1}{\pi} \displaystyle \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)g(t) dt##.

3. The attempt at a solution

This was an example done during class, but it was done quickly just as class was ending.

I can see that ##\left\langle \sin^2{t}, \cos{2t} \right\rangle = \dfrac{1}{\pi}\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^2{t} \cos{2t} dt##, so the integral itself will be ##\pi \left\langle \sin^2{t}, \cos{2t} \right\rangle##.

So, I clearly have to determine the inner product ##\left\langle \sin^2{t}, \cos{2t} \right\rangle##.

##\sin^2{t} \in \mbox{span}\left\{ \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \cos{t}, \cos{2t} \right\}##, since ##\sin^2{t}## can be written as the linear combination ##\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \cdot \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} + \left(-\dfrac{1}{2}\right) \cos{2t}##.

I've tried recreating what the instructor presented:
    ##\left\langle \sin^2{t},\cos{2t} \right\rangle = \left\langle \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \cdot \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} + \left(-\dfrac{1}{2}\right) \cos{2t}, \cos{2t} \right\rangle##

(Skipping some steps, and applying the linearity property of inner product)
    ##\left\langle \sin^2{t},\cos{2t} \right\rangle = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left\langle \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \cos{2t} \right\rangle + \left(-\dfrac{1}{2}\right) \left\langle\cos{2t}, \cos{2t} \right\rangle##

##\left\langle \sin^2{t},\cos{2t} \right\rangle = 0 + \left(-\dfrac{1}{2}\right)##

From this, we get
    ##\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^2{t} \cos{2t} dt = -\dfrac{\pi}{2}##.

I've looked over this multiple times, but I can't seem to see where Parseval's relation comes into play. It could be that I've recreated the wrong thing and found some other way to find the answer. Any ideas where I might have gone wrong? Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted