1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length of a curve

1. Sep 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A curve has the equation y2 = x3. Find the length of the arc joining (1, - 1) to (1, 1).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the integral of the distance and tried to evaluate from -1 to 1.
    L = [intergral (-1 to 1) sqrt (1+(dy/dx x^3/23/2)2 dx]
    Evaluated I got [integral (-1 to 1) sqrt (1+9x/4) dx]
    1/27 [4+9x]3/2 ] exaluated from -1 to 1

I know the answer is supposed to be (26sqrt(13) - 16)/27 and mine is not coming out to that. Is there a mistake somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The formatting in your first fomula looks broken.
    This is undefined for some x and not symmetric in x, so the error has to be before that. It would help to see more steps of your work.

4. Sep 27, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I presume you mean that the equation of the curve is [itex]y^2= x^3[/itex] (if you don't want to use "Latex", at least write it as y^2= x^3 to indicate the powers). You should know that the arclength is given by the integral [itex]\int \sqrt{1+ (dy/dx)^2} dx[/itex]. Since [itex]y^2= x^3[/itex], [itex]2y (dy/dx)= 3x^2[/itex] so that [itex]dy/dx= (3/2)(x^2/y)= (3/2)(x^2/(x^{3/2})= (3/2)x^{1/2}[/itex]. So [itex]1+ (dy/dx)= 1+ (9/4)x[/itex]

mfb's complaint that "this I undefined for some x and not symmetric in x" does NOT apply because x is never negative. What is important (and may be what mfb was saying) is that x does NOT go from -1 to 1- it is y that goes from -1 to 1. You can do either of two things:
    1- take the x- integral from 0 to 1 and double. (You can do that because the graph goes from x= 0 to 1 and is symmetric for y> 0 and y< 0.)

2- use [itex]\int \sqrt{1+ (dx/dy)}dy[/itex] for the arclength instead. [itex]2y= 3x^2 (dx/dy)[/itex] so [itex]dx/dy= (2/3)(y/x^2)= (2/3)(y/y^{4/3})= (2/3)y^{-1/3}[/itex]. (Since the integral from -1 to 1 contains y= 0, that is an "improper" integral, but converges.)

5. Sep 27, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Ah right, y changes its sign. Well, you still have to pay attention to it in some way.

6. Sep 28, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

[itex]\int \sqrt{1+ (dx/dy)^2}dy[/itex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted