Calculating Arc Length of a Curve: y^2 = x^3, (1,-1) to (1,1)

In summary, the homework equation is y2=x3 and the arclength is given by the integral \int \sqrt{1+ (dy/dx)^2}dx.
Cassi

Homework Statement

A curve has the equation y2 = x3. Find the length of the arc joining (1, - 1) to (1, 1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the integral of the distance and tried to evaluate from -1 to 1.
L = [intergral (-1 to 1) sqrt (1+(dy/dx x^3/23/2)2 dx]
Evaluated I got [integral (-1 to 1) sqrt (1+9x/4) dx]
1/27 [4+9x]3/2 ] exaluated from -1 to 1

I know the answer is supposed to be (26sqrt(13) - 16)/27 and mine is not coming out to that. Is there a mistake somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formatting in your first fomula looks broken.
Cassi said:
[integral (-1 to 1) sqrt (1+9x/4) dx]
This is undefined for some x and not symmetric in x, so the error has to be before that. It would help to see more steps of your work.

I presume you mean that the equation of the curve is [itex]y^2= x^3[/itex] (if you don't want to use "Latex", at least write it as y^2= x^3 to indicate the powers). You should know that the arclength is given by the integral [itex]\int \sqrt{1+ (dy/dx)^2} dx[/itex]. Since [itex]y^2= x^3[/itex], [itex]2y (dy/dx)= 3x^2[/itex] so that [itex]dy/dx= (3/2)(x^2/y)= (3/2)(x^2/(x^{3/2})= (3/2)x^{1/2}[/itex]. So [itex]1+ (dy/dx)= 1+ (9/4)x[/itex]

mfb's complaint that "this I undefined for some x and not symmetric in x" does NOT apply because x is never negative. What is important (and may be what mfb was saying) is that x does NOT go from -1 to 1- it is y that goes from -1 to 1. You can do either of two things:
1- take the x- integral from 0 to 1 and double. (You can do that because the graph goes from x= 0 to 1 and is symmetric for y> 0 and y< 0.)

2- use [itex]\int \sqrt{1+ (dx/dy)}dy[/itex] for the arclength instead. [itex]2y= 3x^2 (dx/dy)[/itex] so [itex]dx/dy= (2/3)(y/x^2)= (2/3)(y/y^{4/3})= (2/3)y^{-1/3}[/itex]. (Since the integral from -1 to 1 contains y= 0, that is an "improper" integral, but converges.)

Ah right, y changes its sign. Well, you still have to pay attention to it in some way.

HallsofIvy said:
2- use [itex]\int \sqrt{1+ (dx/dy)}dy[/itex] for the arclength instead.
[itex]\int \sqrt{1+ (dx/dy)^2}dy[/itex] ?

What is the arc length of a curve?

The arc length of a curve is the distance along the curve from one point to another. It can also be thought of as the length of a string that follows the curve.

How is the arc length of a curve calculated?

The arc length of a curve can be calculated using a mathematical formula, known as the arc length formula. This formula takes into account the shape of the curve and the limits of integration to determine the length.

What is the significance of arc length in mathematics?

Arc length is an important concept in mathematics, particularly in calculus and geometry. It allows us to calculate the distance along a curve, which is crucial in many real-world applications, such as engineering and physics.

What is the difference between arc length and curve length?

Arc length refers to the distance along a specific segment of a curve, while curve length is the total distance along the entire curve. In other words, arc length is a smaller portion of the curve's total length.

Are there any limitations to calculating arc length?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating arc length. In some cases, the arc length formula may not exist or may not be possible to solve analytically. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to estimate the arc length.