1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc lengths of polar curves

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the total length of the cardioid r=a(1-cos theta)

2. Relevant equations

ds2=r2dtheta2+dr2

ds= integral from beta to alpha sqrt[r2 + (dr/d theta)2]dtheta

3. The attempt at a solution

dr=a(sin theta)d theta

ds2=a2(1-cos theta)2d theta2 + a2sin2theta (d theta2), which reduces to:

ds=21/2a(1-cos theta)1/2(d theta)

I'm good up to this point. My book says that the above equation for ds simplifies to:

2a|sin1/2theta|d theta

I don't see how to arrive at this simplification. Can someone please explain? Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2
    I have a separate, basic question related to arc lengths of polar curves. I'm trying to derive the formula ds2=r2dtheta2+dr2, which enables me to compute arc lengths of polar curves by integration, from the rectangular equation for the differential element of arc length, namely ds2=dx2 + dy2.

I know that I need to use the transformation equations:

x=r cos theta and y= r sin theta

My book says that I need to differentiate with respect to theta using the product rule to obtain:

dx/dtheta = -r sin theta + cos theta dr/dtheta

When I differentiate, I get dx/dtheta = -r sin theta. I'm not sure how the product rule fits in, which I presume is where does the second half come from (+ cos theta dr/dtheta). I think I'm missing something basic here.

4. Apr 5, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a trig trick. 1-cos(theta)=2*cos^2(theta/2). Half angle formula.

5. Apr 5, 2010 #4
    I'm not so strong in trig, but did you mean to say 1-cos(theta)=2*sin2theta/2?

If 1-cos2theta = 2sin2theta, then
    1-cos theta = 2sin2theta/2 because we halved the angle cos2theta on the left side?

6. Apr 5, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. Sorry. That's what I meant to say. Must be getting late.

7. Apr 5, 2010 #6
    Thanks, Dick.

Any ideas on my proof question from above (my 2nd post)?

8. Apr 6, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would use the product rule on the differentials. dx=d(r*cos(t))=dr*cos(t)+r*d(cos(t))=dr*cos(t)-r*sin(t)dt. Do the same with dy and evaluate dx^2+dy^2.

9. Apr 6, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would use the product rule on the differentials. dx=d(r*cos(t))=dr*cos(t)+r*d(cos(t))=dr*cos(t)-r*sin(t)dt. Do the same with dy and evaluate dx^2+dy^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook