How can the length of a cardioid be calculated using polar coordinates?

In summary, to find the total length of a cardioid with the equation r=a(1-cos(theta)), you can use the formula ds2=r2dtheta2+dr2 and the transformation equations x=r cos theta and y= r sin theta. To obtain the product rule for dx/dtheta, differentiate dx=d(r*cos(t)) using the product rule and then do the same for dy. The resulting equation can be evaluated to find the length of the cardioid.
JOhnJDC

Homework Statement

Find the total length of the cardioid r=a(1-cos theta)

Homework Equations

ds2=r2dtheta2+dr2

ds= integral from beta to alpha sqrt[r2 + (dr/d theta)2]dtheta

The Attempt at a Solution

dr=a(sin theta)d theta

ds2=a2(1-cos theta)2d theta2 + a2sin2theta (d theta2), which reduces to:

ds=21/2a(1-cos theta)1/2(d theta)

I'm good up to this point. My book says that the above equation for ds simplifies to:

2a|sin1/2theta|d theta

I don't see how to arrive at this simplification. Can someone please explain? Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a separate, basic question related to arc lengths of polar curves. I'm trying to derive the formula ds2=r2dtheta2+dr2, which enables me to compute arc lengths of polar curves by integration, from the rectangular equation for the differential element of arc length, namely ds2=dx2 + dy2.

I know that I need to use the transformation equations:

x=r cos theta and y= r sin theta

My book says that I need to differentiate with respect to theta using the product rule to obtain:

dx/dtheta = -r sin theta + cos theta dr/dtheta

When I differentiate, I get dx/dtheta = -r sin theta. I'm not sure how the product rule fits in, which I presume is where does the second half come from (+ cos theta dr/dtheta). I think I'm missing something basic here.

It's a trig trick. 1-cos(theta)=2*cos^2(theta/2). Half angle formula.

Dick said:
It's a trig trick. 1-cos(theta)=2*cos^2(theta/2). Half angle formula.

I'm not so strong in trig, but did you mean to say 1-cos(theta)=2*sin2theta/2?

If 1-cos2theta = 2sin2theta, then
1-cos theta = 2sin2theta/2 because we halved the angle cos2theta on the left side?

JOhnJDC said:
I'm not so strong in trig, but did you mean to say 1-cos(theta)=2*sin2theta/2?

If 1-cos2theta = 2sin2theta, then
1-cos theta = 2sin2theta/2 because we halved the angle cos2theta on the left side?

Sure. Sorry. That's what I meant to say. Must be getting late.

Thanks, Dick.

Any ideas on my proof question from above (my 2nd post)?

JOhnJDC said:
I have a separate, basic question related to arc lengths of polar curves. I'm trying to derive the formula ds2=r2dtheta2+dr2, which enables me to compute arc lengths of polar curves by integration, from the rectangular equation for the differential element of arc length, namely ds2=dx2 + dy2.

I know that I need to use the transformation equations:

x=r cos theta and y= r sin theta

My book says that I need to differentiate with respect to theta using the product rule to obtain:

dx/dtheta = -r sin theta + cos theta dr/dtheta

When I differentiate, I get dx/dtheta = -r sin theta. I'm not sure how the product rule fits in, which I presume is where does the second half come from (+ cos theta dr/dtheta). I think I'm missing something basic here.

I would use the product rule on the differentials. dx=d(r*cos(t))=dr*cos(t)+r*d(cos(t))=dr*cos(t)-r*sin(t)dt. Do the same with dy and evaluate dx^2+dy^2.

JOhnJDC said:
Thanks, Dick.

Any ideas on my proof question from above (my 2nd post)?

I would use the product rule on the differentials. dx=d(r*cos(t))=dr*cos(t)+r*d(cos(t))=dr*cos(t)-r*sin(t)dt. Do the same with dy and evaluate dx^2+dy^2.

1. What is an arc length of a polar curve?

The arc length of a polar curve is the distance along the curve between two given points. It is similar to the concept of finding the length of a line segment on a Cartesian plane, but in polar coordinates.

2. How is the arc length of a polar curve calculated?

The arc length of a polar curve is calculated using the integral formula: L = ∫√(r² + (dr/dθ)²) dθ, where r is the distance from the origin to a point on the curve and dr/dθ is the derivative of r with respect to θ.

3. What is the difference between arc length and arc measure?

Arc length is the physical distance along the curve, while arc measure is the angle formed by the two radii that make up the arc. Arc measure is typically measured in radians and can be used to calculate the arc length of a polar curve.

4. Can the arc length of a polar curve be negative?

No, the arc length of a polar curve cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the distance along the curve between two given points.

5. How is the arc length of a polar curve used in real-world applications?

The arc length of a polar curve is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in calculating the distance traveled by a satellite in orbit, the length of a coastline, or the volume of a 3D shape. It is also used in physics to calculate work and energy in rotational motion.