Solving Arccos Problems: 1) arccos x=pi/2 and 2) arccos x=3pi/2

• Thread starter meowet
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with understanding trigonometry equations involving arccosine and requesting for someone to solve the equations for them. The responder suggests understanding the concept of inverse functions and reminds the person that the answer can be found by simply rearranging the equation.
meowet
(1)arccos x = pi/2 and (2)arccos x = 3 pi/2

I am new to this trigonometry equation math, and I would glad if someone could give me a site or so that can explain how to solce these equations. however I would be glad if someone could solve these problems for me.. because I have no one to ask

A detailed explanation would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you haven't shown any attempt to solve them yourself, we don't know what you know or what definitions you are working with. Do you understand that "arccos" is simply the inverse of cosine? Do you understand that if f and f-1 are inverse functions and y= f-1(x), then x= f(y). In other words, the answer is staring you in the face!

. Thank you for your interest in learning more about solving arccos problems. Arccos is a mathematical function that represents the inverse cosine function. This means that it takes in a value and gives the angle that has that cosine value. In order to solve these equations, we need to understand some key concepts and steps.

1) arccos x = pi/2

To solve this equation, we need to understand the relationship between the arccos function and the cosine function. The cosine function takes in an angle and gives the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. The arccos function, on the other hand, takes in a ratio and gives the angle that has that ratio. So, in this equation, we are looking for the angle that has a cosine value of pi/2.

To find this angle, we can use the unit circle. The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit and is used in trigonometry to understand the relationships between angles and trigonometric functions. In this case, we can see that the cosine value of pi/2 is 0, meaning that the angle we are looking for must be 90 degrees or pi/2 radians.

2) arccos x = 3pi/2

Similarly, to solve this equation, we need to understand the relationship between the arccos function and the cosine function. In this case, the cosine value of 3pi/2 is -1, which means that the angle we are looking for must be 180 degrees or pi radians.

In general, to solve any arccos equation, we need to find the cosine value of the given angle and then use the unit circle to find the corresponding angle. It is important to remember that the arccos function can only give angles between 0 and pi radians, or 0 and 180 degrees.

I would recommend practicing with more examples and familiarizing yourself with the unit circle to better understand how to solve arccos equations. There are also many online resources and tutorials available that can provide more in-depth explanations and practice problems. I hope this helps you in your journey to solving arccos problems.

FAQ: Solving Arccos Problems: 1) arccos x=pi/2 and 2) arccos x=3pi/2

What is the value of x when arccos x = pi/2?

The value of x when arccos x = pi/2 is 0. This is because the cosine function has a period of 2pi and arccos is the inverse of cosine. When arccos x = pi/2, it means that the cosine of x is equal to 1 at this point. The only value of x that satisfies this is 0.

What is the value of x when arccos x = 3pi/2?

The value of x when arccos x = 3pi/2 is undefined. This is because the range of arccosine function is limited to the interval [0,pi], and 3pi/2 is outside of this range. Therefore, there is no value of x that satisfies this equation.

How do I solve an arccos problem?

To solve an arccos problem, you can use the inverse cosine function or the cosine inverse button on a scientific calculator. First, isolate the arccos term on one side of the equation. Then, take the cosine of both sides to cancel out the arccos function. Finally, solve for the variable using algebraic methods.

What is the domain and range of arccosine function?

The domain of arccosine function is [-1,1], which represents the possible values of cosine function. The range of arccosine function is [0,pi], which represents the possible values of the inverse cosine function. This is because the output of arccosine function is always an angle measure in radians.

Can you use arccosine to find the angle measure of a right triangle?

Yes, you can use arccosine to find the angle measure of a right triangle. This is because the cosine function is defined as the adjacent side divided by the hypotenuse in a right triangle. Therefore, the inverse of cosine, which is arccosine, can be used to find the angle measure given the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.