Arcsin Integral Format: Solving ∫1/(x^4)(sqrt(a^(2) - x^(2)) for Homework

In summary, the conversation is discussing the best method for evaluating the integral ∫1/(x^4)(sqrt(a^(2) - x^(2)). The initial attempt was to use a substitution of u = dx/sqrt(a^2-x^2), but it was pointed out that a trig substitution, such as x = a*sin(theta), would be a more appropriate approach.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral ∫1/(x^4)(sqrt(a^(2) - x^(2))

Homework Equations

u= dx/sqrt(a^2-x^2)
du= arcsin(x/a)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I even doing this right? And if so, how would I express 1/x^4 in terms of u? Have I taken the right u-substitution? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lets make sure I'm reading that right:
Evaluate the integral ∫1/(x^4)(sqrt(a^(2) - x^(2))
[...]
u= dx/sqrt(a^2-x^2)
du= arcsin(x/a)dx
You are asked to evaluate:
$$\int \frac{dx}{x^4\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}$$ ... and you are using the substitution:
$$u=\frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\\ du = \arcsin(x/a)dx$$ ... I have no idea why you would choose such a substitution or how you arrived at it.

The usual way to get rid of a square root would be to use a trig substitution like ##x=a\sin\theta## so that ##dx = a\cos\theta\; d\theta##

I chose this substitution because one of the formulas I learned is that the integral of dx/sqrt(a^2-x^2) is arcsin(x/a) dx; but it's supposed to be the derivative. My mistake :/

Using trig substitution, I get:

int [1/(x^4)(sqrt(a^2-sin^2(theta))]

I'm not sure how to continue at all.

int [1/(x^4)(sqrt(a^2-sin^2(theta))] would be if you put ##x=\sin\theta## ... that's the wrong substitution.

You can't do just any old substitution.

Here, what you want to do is exploit that ##\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1##.

Don't forget that the substitution applies to every instance of x and to dx also.

FAQ: Arcsin Integral Format: Solving ∫1/(x^4)(sqrt(a^(2) - x^(2)) for Homework

1. What is the Arcsin Integral Format?

The Arcsin Integral Format is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the integral of the inverse sine function, also known as arcsine. It represents the area under the curve of the inverse sine function.

2. How is the Arcsin Integral Format written?

The Arcsin Integral Format is written as ∫arcsin(x)dx, where the integral sign (∫) represents the integration operation, arcsin(x) represents the inverse sine function, and dx represents the differential variable.

3. What is the purpose of using the Arcsin Integral Format?

The Arcsin Integral Format is used to find the area under the curve of the inverse sine function, which is also known as the antiderivative or indefinite integral of the function. It is an important concept in calculus and is used in various real-world applications.

4. What are the steps to solve an integral in Arcsin Integral Format?

The steps to solve an integral in Arcsin Integral Format include rewriting the integrand in terms of arcsin, using trigonometric identities to simplify the expression, applying the integration rules, and evaluating the integral using limits of integration.

5. Can the Arcsin Integral Format be solved using a calculator?

Yes, the Arcsin Integral Format can be solved using a calculator that has an integral function. However, it is important to note that the calculator may not provide the full solution and may only give an approximation. It is recommended to solve the integral by hand for a more accurate result.