1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arcsin Integral Format

1. May 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the integral ∫1/(x^4)(sqrt(a^(2) - x^(2))

2. Relevant equations
    u= dx/sqrt(a^2-x^2)
    du= arcsin(x/a)dx

3. The attempt at a solution

Am I even doing this right? And if so, how would I express 1/x^4 in terms of u? Have I taken the right u-substitution? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Lets make sure I'm reading that right:
    You are asked to evaluate:
    $$\int \frac{dx}{x^4\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}$$ ... and you are using the substitution:
    $$u=\frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\\ du = \arcsin(x/a)dx$$ ... I have no idea why you would choose such a substitution or how you arrived at it.

The usual way to get rid of a square root would be to use a trig substitution like ##x=a\sin\theta## so that ##dx = a\cos\theta\; d\theta##

4. May 26, 2013 #3
    I chose this substitution because one of the formulas I learnt is that the integral of dx/sqrt(a^2-x^2) is arcsin(x/a) dx; but it's supposed to be the derivative. My mistake :/

Using trig substitution, I get:

int [1/(x^4)(sqrt(a^2-sin^2(theta))]

I'm not sure how to continue at all.

5. May 26, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

int [1/(x^4)(sqrt(a^2-sin^2(theta))] would be if you put ##x=\sin\theta## ... that's the wrong substitution.

You cant do just any old substitution.

Here, what you want to do is exploit that ##\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1##.

Don't forget that the substitution applies to every instance of x and to dx also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted