Are bessel functions pure real?

In summary, the conversation discussed whether or not Bessel functions are pure real and if the relationship H_1=H_{2}^{*} holds true for Bessel functions with real arguments. It was noted that while it may not be explicitly stated, the power series expansion for real x supports this relationship.
Pacopag

Homework Statement

I'm wondering if the bessel functions are pure real. What I really want to know is that if the bessel funtions are [tex]J[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] (i.e. first and second kinds), and the Hankel functions are
[tex]H_1=J+iY[/tex] and [tex]H_2=J-iY[/tex], then can we say that
[tex]H_1=H_{2}^{*}[/tex] where the * denotes complex conjugation?

Note that I'm considering the case where the bessel functions have real arguments.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Great. Thanks.

1. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a type of mathematical function that arise in many areas of physics and engineering. They are named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel, who first studied them in the early 19th century.

2. How are Bessel functions used?

Bessel functions are used to solve differential equations that describe wave phenomena, such as heat transfer, electromagnetism, and fluid mechanics. They also have applications in signal processing, image analysis, and other areas of mathematics and physics.

3. Are Bessel functions pure real?

No, in general, Bessel functions are complex-valued functions. However, there are special cases where they can be purely real, such as when the order of the Bessel function is an integer or half-integer.

4. What is the relationship between Bessel functions and trigonometric functions?

Bessel functions and trigonometric functions are closely related. In fact, Bessel functions can be expressed in terms of trigonometric functions, and vice versa. This relationship is important in solving differential equations and understanding wave phenomena.

5. How do I calculate Bessel functions?

There are many methods for calculating Bessel functions, including series expansions, recurrence relations, and special functions. Depending on the specific application, different methods may be more efficient or accurate. There are also many software packages and online calculators available for computing Bessel functions.