Are phonon's actually a real particle, or is it a trick of QM?

In summary, phonons are quantized lattice vibrations, which means that they represent the "normal modes" that are available in such a system.
RHoisser
Hi, a brief question from a confused undergrad, I'm about to start a section of a QM course that deals with the QM nature of condensed matter and think I should get a good idea on this before I start it.

I fully understand the wave-particle duality of photon's and electrons and the like, but I don't see how this works with phonon's.

From my rather basic understanding (all from before I learned enough about QM to understand it), a phonon is the localised vibration of atoms through a solid that allows sound to occur. So this is most definitely a wave-like property of a phonon.

But if it then follows from QM that this phonon must also have a particle-like property, what does this actually represent? Can a phonon have momentum?

Or do we get around this issue by calling it a "wave packet", which to me is like a really small bit of a wave moving like a particle?

Are these questions even worth asking, or it is just a case of "thats Quantum Mechanics"?

Cheers all

Physics news on Phys.org
RHoisser said:
Hi, a brief question from a confused undergrad, I'm about to start a section of a QM course that deals with the QM nature of condensed matter and think I should get a good idea on this before I start it.

I fully understand the wave-particle duality of photon's and electrons and the like, but I don't see how this works with phonon's.

From my rather basic understanding (all from before I learned enough about QM to understand it), a phonon is the localised vibration of atoms through a solid that allows sound to occur. So this is most definitely a wave-like property of a phonon.

But if it then follows from QM that this phonon must also have a particle-like property, what does this actually represent? Can a phonon have momentum?
The only particle-like property (which is enough to call phonons ''quasi-particles'') is that one can associate with then creation and annihilation operators, and has exactly the same computational setting as one has in the quantum field theory of elementary particles.

Thanks for your replies A.Neumaier and ZZ, both very enlightening.

Now the only trouble I have is with the Fourier transforms to go from real space to reciprocal space, but that's going to be coming up in the lectures, so I shall wait and see if I can learn it that way.

Thanks again,

Richard

1. What is a phonon in quantum mechanics?

A phonon is a quantum of lattice vibration or a collective excitation of atoms in a solid material. It is considered a quasiparticle, meaning it behaves like a particle but is actually a manifestation of the collective behavior of many particles.

2. Are phonons considered real particles?

In the context of quantum mechanics, phonons are considered real particles as they can be described by a wavefunction and exhibit particle-like behavior such as energy, momentum, and quantized states.

3. How do phonons differ from other particles?

Phonons differ from other particles in that they are not fundamental particles like electrons or protons. They are considered quasiparticles, meaning they are a collective behavior of many particles rather than a single entity.

4. Can phonons be observed experimentally?

Yes, phonons can be observed experimentally using techniques such as neutron scattering, Raman spectroscopy, and inelastic electron scattering. These techniques measure the energy and momentum transfer between phonons and other particles, providing evidence for their existence.

5. How do phonons impact materials and their properties?

Phonons play a crucial role in determining the thermal and mechanical properties of materials. They contribute to phenomena such as thermal conductivity, specific heat, and thermal expansion. Understanding phonons is essential for developing new materials and improving existing ones.