Finding the Area Between Two Curves: Graphical vs. Algebraic Methods

In summary, to find the intersection points of the equations y^2=x and y=x-2, set them equal to each other and solve for y. Then, use the values of y to find the corresponding x values. The integral for finding the area between the curves is the rightmost curve minus the leftmost curve, with the limits of integration being the intersection points.
stewe151
I know how to do this graphically, but I can't remember how to set it up the long way. The equations are:

y^2=x and y=x-2

I know it should be easy, but it's late and I can't think...

Physics news on Phys.org
stewe151 said:
I know how to do this graphically, but I can't remember how to set it up the long way. The equations are:

y^2=x and y=x-2

I know it should be easy, but it's late and I can't think...

Find the intersection points then set up the integral from the one intersection point to the other of the "larger" curve minus the "smaller" curve.

Solve for the points of intersection of the two curves:

[tex]x=y^2[/tex]

and [tex]y=x-2 \Rightarrow x=y+2[/tex]

the intersection of these curves occurs at the values of y such that

[tex]y^2=y+2 \Rightarrow y^2-y-2=(y+1)(y-2)=0[/tex]

so [tex]y=-1,2[/tex] and recall that [tex]x=y+2[/tex],

so the points are: (1,-1) & (4,2)

The integrand is easiest as: rightmost curve - leftmost curve = [tex](y+2) - y^2[/tex]

and the integral is then [tex]\int_{y=-1}^{2} (y+2-y^2)dy[/tex]

1. What is the formula for finding the area between two curves?

The formula for finding the area between two curves is ∫(upper curve - lower curve)dx, where dx is the width of each rectangle used to approximate the area.

2. What is the difference between graphical and algebraic methods for finding the area between two curves?

The graphical method involves visually representing the two curves on a coordinate plane and finding the area by counting rectangles or using a calculator. The algebraic method involves using integration to find the exact area between the curves.

3. Can you explain the steps for using graphical methods to find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves graphically, first plot the two curves on a coordinate plane. Then, divide the area into smaller rectangles and count the number of rectangles needed to cover the entire area. Finally, calculate the area of each rectangle and add them together to find the total area.

4. How do you use integration to find the area between two curves algebraically?

To find the area between two curves algebraically, first rewrite the equations of the curves in terms of x. Then, set up the integral using the formula ∫(upper curve - lower curve)dx. Finally, integrate the function and evaluate the integral at the limits of integration.

5. What should I do if the two curves intersect or overlap?

If the two curves intersect or overlap, the area between them can be divided into separate sections. Use the same methods as described above for each section and then add the areas together to find the total area between the curves.