No problem, glad I could help!

In summary, by properly integrating the equation and substituting the lower integration limit, we can find the values of c such that the area of the region bounded by the parabolas y = x2 - c2 and y = c2 - x2 is 576. The correct value for c is approximately 9.52.
MathewsMD
Find the values of c such that the area of the region bounded by the parabolas y = x2 - c2 and y = c2 - x2 is 576.

Attempt:

576 = -cc∫-x2 + c2 - (x2 - c2) dx

576 = 2-cc∫c2 - x2 dx

576 = c2x -(1/3)(x3) l0c *I know by symmetry that the area of 0 → c is half the area of -c → c

576 = c3 - (1/3)c3

576 = (2/3)(c3)

c ~ 9.52

This is the incorrect answer for c. I know there are other methods to solve this problem, but I am trying to answer this question using this strategy. Can anyone please point out the error in my work?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
Find the values of c such that the area of the region bounded by the parabolas y = x2 - c2 and y = c2 - x2 is 576.

Attempt:

576 = -cc∫-x2 + c2 - (x2 - c2) dx

576 = 2-cc∫c2 - x2 dx

576 = c2x -(1/3)(x3) l0c *I know by symmetry that the area of 0 → c is half the area of -c → c

576 = c3 - (1/3)c3
You did the integration incorrectly. First you lost your original factor of 2. Then, you lost another factor of 2 when you forgot to substitute the lower integration limit.

576 = (2/3)(c3)

c ~ 9.52

This is the incorrect answer for c. I know there are other methods to solve this problem, but I am trying to answer this question using this strategy. Can anyone please point out the error in my work?
Thank you!
You did the integration incorrectly. First you lost your original factor of 2. Then, you lost another factor of 2 when you forgot to substitute the lower integration limit. Just redo the integration with more care, and you'll get the right answer.

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
You did the integration incorrectly. First you lost your original factor of 2. Then, you lost another factor of 2 when you forgot to substitute the lower integration limit. Just redo the integration with more care, and you'll get the right answer.

Haha okay, I actually canceled the factors out (I must have thought it was in the denominator for some reason). Thank you for finding it!

What is the area between two curves?

The area between two curves is the total amount of space enclosed by the two curves on a graph. It can be found by calculating the definite integral of the difference between the two curves over a given interval.

How do you find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves, you must first determine the points of intersection between the two curves. Then, use the definite integral to find the area of the region enclosed by the curves over the given interval.

What is the difference between finding the area between two curves and finding the area under a curve?

Finding the area between two curves involves calculating the integral of the difference between the two curves, while finding the area under a curve involves calculating the definite integral of the curve itself. The area between two curves can also be thought of as the difference between the areas under the two curves.

Can the area between two curves be negative?

Yes, the area between two curves can be negative if the top curve is below the bottom curve in certain intervals. This means that the bottom curve is actually enclosing more space than the top curve. To avoid this, the order of the curves can be switched or the absolute value of the integral can be taken.

What are some real-world applications of finding the area between two curves?

Finding the area between two curves can be useful in calculating the total volume of a solid figure, such as a swimming pool or a storage tank. It can also be applied in economics to calculate the total profit or loss from a given investment or business venture. Additionally, in physics, it can be used to determine the total distance traveled by an object over a given time interval.