How do I integrate 2/(1+x^4) to find the area between two curves?

• Thread starter liquidheineken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curves
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area between two functions with bounds from x=[-1,1]. The equation for this problem is given as ∫ 2/(1+x^4) - x^2 dx. The person is having trouble integrating 2/(1+x^4) and is given hints on how to approach it, such as using trigonometric or substitution methods. The use of Mathematica, a computational software, is also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlights the challenges of solving this type of integral and suggests different methods for approaching it.
liquidheineken
Find the Area between the two functions.

http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP16151chba72gif4040fg0000686h2hea7f943994?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=54&w=381.&h=306.&cdf=Coordinates&cdf=Tooltips

I know the bounds are from x=[-1,1] which gives me the equation...
∫ 2/(1+x4) - x2 dx

I just can't figure out how to integrate 2/(1+x4). Substitution won't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This type of integration is a special case.
To do it:
Do you see that 2 in the numerator?
1)Convert that into ##1+x^2+1-x^2##.
2)separate The two fractions... I. E.
##\frac {1-x^2}{1+x^4}##+##\frac {1+x^2}{1+x^4}##
3)devide numerator and denominator by ##x^2##.
4) know that the differential of ##x+\frac {1}{x}## is ##1-\frac {1}{x^2}##.
I think these hints are sufficient.

liquidheineken said:
Find the Area between the two functions.

http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP16151chba72gif4040fg0000686h2hea7f943994?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=54&w=381.&h=306.&cdf=Coordinates&cdf=Tooltips

I know the bounds are from x=[-1,1] which gives me the equation...
∫ 2/(1+x4) - x2 dx
Minor point, but the above is NOT an equation -- there's no =, which is the hallmark of an equation.
liquidheineken said:
I just can't figure out how to integrate 2/(1+x4). Substitution won't work.
I would be inclined to try a trig substitution.

BTW, when you post a problem, do not delete the homework template. The three parts are required.

Last edited by a moderator:
mooncrater said:
This type of integration is a special case.
To do it:
Do you see that 2 in the numerator?
1)Convert that into ##1+x^2+1-x^2##.
2)separate The two fractions... I. E.
##\frac {1-x^2}{1+x^4}##+##\frac {1+x^2}{1+x^4}##
3)devide numerator and denominator by ##x^2##.
4) know that the differential of ##x+\frac {1}{x}## is ##1-\frac {1}{x^2}##.
This is true, but I don't see how it is relevant to this problem. If you divide numerator and denominator of step 2 by x2, you get ##\frac{1/x^2 - 1}{1/x^2 + x^2} + \frac{1/x^2 + 1}{1/x^2 + x^2}##. I don't see how this is an improvement.
mooncrater said:
I think these hints are sufficient.

I would also try a trigonometric substitution.

Mark44 said:
This is true, but I don't see how it is relevant to this problem. If you divide numerator and denominator of step 2 by x2, you get ##\frac{1/x^2 - 1}{1/x^2 + x^2} + \frac{1/x^2 + 1}{1/x^2 + x^2}##. I don't see how this is an improvement.
You can write ##x^2+1/x^2## as ##[x+1/x]^2-2## as well as ##[x-1/x]^2+2##. There fore when you take ##t=x+1/x## you get ##dt=1-1/x^2## and when you take ##n=x-1/x## then you get ##dn=1+1/x^2##...
These substitutions can be used to calculate the integral.
Well.. I also would like to see the trigonometric substitution method.
(Are you talking about substituting ##x^2=tan\theta##? )

I just plugged the integral into Mathematica and it appears to be kind of a nightmare to solve.

phion said:
I just plugged the integral into Mathematica and it appears to be kind of a nightmare to solve.
Mathematica? What does it do?

Wolfram_Alpha_integrate_2_1_x_4_x_2_from_1.gif

phion said:
Wolfram_Alpha_integrate_2_1_x_4_x_2_from_1.gif
Nightmare! I agree. :))

Some integrals have special(and shorter) methods. That just needs recognising the integral type. Otherwise they can be nightmares!

What does the area between two curves represent?

The area between two curves represents the total space enclosed by the two curves on a graph. This area can be positive or negative, depending on the position of the curves relative to each other.

How do you calculate the area between two curves?

The area between two curves can be calculated by finding the definite integral of the difference between the two curves over a given interval. This integral represents the area under the upper curve minus the area under the lower curve in that interval.

What is the significance of finding the area between two curves?

Finding the area between two curves is useful in many applications, such as calculating volumes in physics and determining profits in economics. It also allows us to compare the relative sizes of two quantities represented by the curves.

Can the area between two curves ever be negative?

Yes, the area between two curves can be negative if the upper curve is below the lower curve in certain intervals. This indicates that the lower curve encloses more space than the upper curve in that interval.

How does the shape of the curves affect the area between them?

The shape of the curves can greatly affect the area between them. For example, if the curves intersect multiple times, the area between them may be split into multiple sections. Additionally, the steepness of the curves can impact the overall size of the enclosed area.