Area of a vertically sliced circle

In summary, the problem involves a circle of radius 7 inches that is sliced into three equal pieces parallel to the y-axis. The width of each piece, represented by the x-axis, can be found by setting up and solving an integral equation. The solution involves using trigonometric substitutions and integration. However, it is also possible to find the solution without using calculus by considering the area of each slice as a sector minus a triangle.
bur7ama1989

Homework Statement

A circle of radius 7 inches is sliced vertically, parallel to the y-axis, into three pieces. Each piece has an equal area. What is the width, x-axis, of each piece?

Homework Equations

f(x)= +/- sqrt((r^2)-(x^2)) where "r" is the radius.

The Attempt at a Solution

My sign for the integral is $

Using the equation for a circle above I took advantage of the obvious symmetry about the x-axis to isolate the part of the circle above the x-axis relevant to the given radius.

g(x)= sqrt((7^2)-(x^2)).

My attempt was to first define the area as an integral from the origin until x=7. (I chose x=7 because of the symmetry about the y-axis.)

I(x)= 0->7 $sqrt((7^2)-(x^2))dx

Here is where I hit a wall. The prof tried explaining to the class about Pythagoras and I thought I understood but apparently I didn't. Any assistance or pushes in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First the area of the circle is [itex]\pi(7^2)= 49\pi[/itex]. If it is divided into 3 pieces of equal area, each piece must have area [itex]49\pi/3[/itex].

Taking X to be the x coordinate of the left most slice, its area is given by
[tex]2\int_{-7}^X \sqrt{49- x^2} dx[/tex]
and that must be equal to [itex]49\pi/3[/itex] .

Go ahead and do the integral (the substitution [itex]u= 7sin(t)[/itex] will work), set it equal to [itex]49\pi/3[/itex], and solve for X. The symmetry tells you that the other slice is at 7+ X.

Do you even need calculus? If you consider just the part that is above the y-axis, then each slice has to be equal to [itex]49\pi/6[/itex]. and, the two end pieces are quarter ellipses.

so, if b is the x coordinate of the right slice, then

49pi/6 = (pi/4)(7-b)(49-b^2)^(1/2)

Last edited:
I do need to use calculus. I need to use trigonometric substitutions and integration. The method provided by HallsofIvy is the one i must use.

I followed through with the integral but now I am stuck at trying to solve for X.

What I have is:

sin^-1(x/7)+sin(2(sin^-1(x/7))) = pi/6

How do i break this down?

bur7ama1989 said:
I do need to use calculus.

No, a cap of a circle is a sector minus a triangle, and you can easily find the area of each. :wink:

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a vertically sliced circle?

The formula for calculating the area of a vertically sliced circle is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How is the area of a vertically sliced circle different from a regular circle?

The area of a vertically sliced circle is a two-dimensional measurement, while a regular circle's area is a three-dimensional measurement. This means that the area of a vertically sliced circle only takes into account the flat, circular shape, while a regular circle's area also includes the curved surface.

3. Can the area of a vertically sliced circle be negative?

No, the area of a vertically sliced circle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents the space enclosed by the circle.

4. How does the diameter of a vertically sliced circle affect its area?

The diameter of a vertically sliced circle affects its area by changing the value of its radius. The larger the diameter, the larger the radius, and therefore, the larger the area will be.

5. Why is the area of a vertically sliced circle important in mathematics?

The area of a vertically sliced circle is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental concept in geometry and trigonometry. It is also used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the area of a pizza or a circular swimming pool.