Area of graph where have i gone wrong

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathnewbie1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Graph
In summary: You could try integrating the function between the zeroes, or using the limits of integration to find the area between the zeroes and the other points.
mathnewbie1
I have been asked to finding the area of the graph of the function F(x)=[tex](3x-\pi)\cos\frac{1}{2}x[/tex] between[tex] x=-\pi and x=\pi[/tex]

using integration by parts to integrate the function I get [tex]\int 2(3x-\pi)(\sin\frac{1}{2}\pi)+12\cos\frac{x}{2}[/tex]

when I work out the integral for x=[tex]\pi and x =-\pi [/tex] I get the following

[tex] 2(3\pi-\pi)(\sin\frac{1}{2}\pi)+12\cos\frac{\pi}{2}-2(3(-\pi)-\pi)(\sin\frac{1}{2}-\pi)+12\cos\frac{-\pi}{2}[/tex]

when I work this out I get [tex]4\pi-4\pi =0\pi[/tex]
but the question states give answer to four decimals has anyone any idea of where I have gone wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
mathnewbie said:
I have been asked to finding the area of the graph of the function F(x)=[tex](3x-\pi)\cos\frac{1}{2}x[/tex] between[tex] x=-\pi and x=\pi[/tex]

using integration by parts to integrate the function I get [tex]\int 2(3x-\pi)(\sin\frac{1}{2}\pi)+12\cos\frac{x}{2}[/tex]

when I work out the integral for x=[tex]\pi and x =-\pi [/tex] I get the following

[tex] 2(3\pi-\pi)(\sin\frac{1}{2}\pi)+12\cos\frac{\pi}{2}-2(3(-\pi)-\pi)(\sin\frac{1}{2}-\pi)+12\cos\frac{-\pi}{2}[/tex]

when I work this out I get [tex]4\pi-4\pi =0\pi[/tex]
but the question states give answer to four decimals has anyone any idea of where I have gone wrong

There are zeroes to this function at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = \frac{\pi}{3} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = \frac{\left( 2n + 1 \right) \, \pi }{4}, n \in \mathbf{Z} \end{align*}$, so in the region $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x \in \left[ -\pi , \pi \right] \end{align*}$ we have zeroes at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left\{ -\frac{3\pi}{4}, -\frac{\pi}{4} , \frac{\pi}{4}, \frac{\pi}{3}, \frac{3\pi}{4} \right\} \end{align*}$, so you need to work out the area of each piece between the zeroes (as they may change sign) and add all their absolute values.

Thanks , how do I do that , do I pick two values between each interval and solve the normal way ??

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks , how do I do that , do I pick two values between each interval and alive for each value

- - - Updated - - -

mathnewbie said:
Thanks , how do I do that , do I pick two values between each interval and solve the normal way ??

- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR

Related to Area of graph where have i gone wrong

1. Why is the area of my graph inconsistent with my data?

There could be several reasons for this inconsistency. It could be due to errors in data collection or calculation, incorrect assumptions made during analysis, or the presence of outliers in the data.

2. How can I fix or improve the area of my graph?

First, review your data collection and analysis methods to identify any potential errors. Then, consider using different techniques or tools to calculate the area of your graph. Additionally, removing any outliers from your data can also help improve the accuracy of the area.

3. What is the significance of the area of a graph?

The area of a graph can provide valuable information about the relationship between variables. It can indicate the magnitude of a change or the overall trend in the data. It can also be used to compare different data sets and identify any patterns or differences.

4. How can I calculate the area of a complex graph?

There are various methods for calculating the area of a complex graph, depending on the type of graph and the data being analyzed. Some common techniques include numerical integration, using software or programming tools, or breaking the graph into simpler shapes and calculating their areas separately.

5. Is the area of a graph always accurate?

The accuracy of the area of a graph depends on the accuracy of the data and the methods used for calculation. It is important to carefully analyze and review the data and methods to ensure the accuracy of the area. Additionally, the presence of outliers or errors in the data can affect the accuracy of the calculated area.