Area of triangle given 3 vectors pointing to vertices

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a triangle using three vectors that point from the origin to the triangle's corners. The formula for the area is given as 0.5|(BxC) + (CxA) + (AxC)|. The participants also discuss the importance of properly referencing the vectors to the vertices in order to calculate the lengths of the sides.
majinsock

Homework Statement

Three vectors A, B, C point from the origin O to the three corners of a triangle. Show that the area of the triangle is given by

area = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]|(B[itex]\times[/itex]C) + (C[itex]\times[/itex]A) + (A[itex]\times[/itex]C)|

Homework Equations

area of triangle with sides a, b, c = [itex]\frac{1}{2}|[/itex]a[itex]\times[/itex]c|

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to go about it. I know I need to find the lengths between the vertices and use that equation, but I don't know how to make it look like the expected result. I'm totally lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't get anywhere with this problem if you don't try something.

What is the area of the triangle between two vectors a, b? Can you subdivide the triangle formed by the endpoints of three vectors into smaller triangles in a useful way?

haruspex said:
What is the area of the triangle between two vectors a, b? Can you subdivide the triangle formed by the endpoints of three vectors into smaller triangles in a useful way?

So, the area of the triangle between two vectors (let's say A and B) is 0.5|Axb| right? I still don't see how I can use that to solve this. I can find the area of every triangle but the one I need.

EDIT: Alright, I was just being a dummy. I redrew my picture so that each of the vectors point away from each other (into three different quadrants) and I realized the if I added up all of the triangles (each of which being contained in the big triangle) I'd get the area of the big one. So the area is the sum of the smaller areas. Thanks!

Your area equation must have a typo: the vectors products CxA + AxC sum to zero!

To solve this problem reference the vectors to the vertices; for example (B-A) and (C-A). This gives you vectors with the lengths of two of the sides ... which you already know how to do.

UltrafastPED said:
Your area equation must have a typo: the vectors products CxA + AxC sum to zero!

To solve this problem reference the vectors to the vertices; for example (B-A) and (C-A). This gives you vectors with the lengths of two of the sides ... which you already know how to do.

Yep, you're right. One of those was supposed to be an A cross B. Thanks.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle given 3 vectors pointing to vertices?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle given 3 vectors is:
Area = 1/2 * |(b-a)x(c-a)|
where a, b, and c are the 3 vectors pointing to the vertices of the triangle and x represents the cross product.

2. Can I use any 3 vectors to find the area of a triangle?

No, the 3 vectors must be pointing to the vertices of the triangle in order to use the formula for finding the area. If the vectors do not form a triangle, the formula will not give an accurate result.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should input the vectors into the formula?

Yes, the order of the vectors matters. The first vector should be the one pointing to vertex A, the second vector should be the one pointing to vertex B, and the third vector should be the one pointing to vertex C.

4. Can I use this formula to find the area of a triangle in any coordinate system?

Yes, the formula can be used in any coordinate system as long as the vectors are consistent with the chosen coordinate system.

5. How accurate is this formula for finding the area of a triangle?

This formula is accurate as long as the vectors are input correctly and the triangle is not degenerate (having 0 area). It is a widely used formula in mathematics and is considered to be very accurate.