1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area, volume and depth relation?

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    Area, volume and depth relation?
    Im given a object, which is a rainguage orifice. it has an area of a certain value. This object collects x amount of water. How do i find a depth from these given values?

Is there a formula for calculating depth?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think we need more information. Most raingauges I have seen look like a funnel that feeds rainwater into a glass or plastic cylinder with graduated markings. The idea is that the funnel collects rain water over a relatively large cross-sectional area, and feeds into a cylinder with a smaller cross section. This makes it easier to measure a rainfall of, say .01 inch.

If the raingauge you're talking about is something like what I've described, we need to know the diameter of the top at its widest part and the diameter of the cylinder.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    im not given any dimensions. All i get in the question is the orifice area and that it collects certain volume of rain water over a period of time.

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

OK, assuming the gauge is a cylinder (not necessarily round), volume is related to the orifice area and height of the gauge by this formula: V = A*h.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook