A) Is the length of the spring finite with infinitely many loops?

In summary, the conversation covers questions about an object falling from an airplane, the growth of cells in an embryo, and the length of a spring with infinitely many loops. The object falls 93.1 meters in 10 seconds, the sum of the first 9 terms of the cell growth series is 256, and the length of the spring is 200 inches if it has infinitely many loops. The nature of the series in question three is finite, but its length cannot be calculated due to the nature of the series. The conversation also includes a discussion about the nature of arithmetic and geometric series.
jai6638
Hey... I'd appreciate it if someone could verify these answers...

Q1) An object is dropped from an airplane. During the first second, the object falls 4.9 m. During the 2nd second, it falls 14.7 m. During the third second, it falls 24.5 m. During the fourth second, it falls 34.3 meters. If this pattern continues, how far will the object fall during the tenth second? Find the total distance the object will fall after 10 seconds.

A) An=A1+(n-1)D
A10=4.9+(10-1)9.8
A10=93.1 m

Q2) In early growth of an embryo, a human cell divides into two cells, each of which divides into two cells and so on. The number an of new cells formed after the nth division is An= 2^(n-1). Find the sum of the first 9 terms of the series to find the total number of news cells after the 8th division.

A) 9*(2+9/2) = 9* ( 5.5 ) = 49.5 cells

Q3) The legnth o fthe first loop of a spring is 20 inches. The length o fthe second loop is 9/10 of the length of the first loop. The length of the third loop is 9/10 of the length of the second loop, and so on. if the spring could have infinitely many loops, would it length be finite? if so, find the length.

A) how do i do this?

are the above answers correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
isnt question three a geometric series?
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}20(\frac{9}{10})^n[/tex]
if that's the case, what do you know about geometric series that makes them converge or diverge?

Actually, they are all geometric series, not arithmetic series.

jai6638 said:
Q1) An object is dropped from an airplane. During the first second, the object falls 4.9 m. During the 2nd second, it falls 14.7 m. During the third second, it falls 24.5 m. During the fourth second, it falls 34.3 meters. If this pattern continues, how far will the object fall during the tenth second? Find the total distance the object will fall after 10 seconds.

A) An=A1+(n-1)D
A10=4.9+(10-1)9.8
A10=93.1 m
This is correct. It is an arithmetic series as:
14.7m - 4.9m = 9.8m
24.5m - 14.7m = 9.8m
34.3m - 24.5m = 9.8m

You could have found that the ratio between the first and second was 3 or [tex]\frac{3}{1}[/tex]. The ratio between the third and second is [tex]\frac{5}{3}[/tex]. As you can see (and by doing more of them) the ratios can be illustrated by [tex]\frac{2k + 1}{2k - 1}[/tex] however this is not a common ratio so cannot be used in the geometric series [tex]u_k = a r^{k-1}[/tex] when u is the number of the kth term, a is the first term and r is the common ration (which we do not have).

[tex]u_k = a + (k-1)d[/tex] as d is the common difference (which is 9.8)

[tex]u_{10} = 4.9 + 9.8(10-1)[/tex]

[tex]u_{10} = 4.9 + (9.8 \times 9)[/tex]

[tex]u_{10} = 4.9 + 88.2[/tex]

[tex]u_{10} = 93.1 \ metres[/tex]

jai6638 said:
Q2) In early growth of an embryo, a human cell divides into two cells, each of which divides into two cells and so on. The number of new cells formed after the nth division is An= 2^(n-1). Find the sum of the first 9 terms of the series to find the total number of news cells after the 8th division.

A) 9*(2+9/2) = 9* ( 5.5 ) = 49.5 cells
This is incorrect. There should be 256 cells. The sum of the first 9 terms is the same as 28 as it must divide 8 times, which is the power. A way to look at it is that one cell divides once to form two cells (so 2 is a2). Once it has divided eigth times there will be 256 cells.

jai6638 said:
Q3) The length of the first loop of a spring is 20 inches. The length of the second loop is 9/10 of the length of the first loop. The length of the third loop is 9/10 of the length of the second loop, and so on. if the spring could have infinitely many loops, would it length be finite? if so, find the length.

A) how do i do this?
I think the answer is going to be [tex]20 \times (\frac{9}{10})^{\infty}[/tex] or somthing like that. I can tell you that by adding all of the little pieces together it is getting close to 200 inches but I do not think this would help.

EDIT: I apologise to p53ud0 dr34m5. I did not understand your post when I first saw it (as I scanned it o:) ). However what you have given is the sum to infinity (which is 200 inches). This should tell jai6638 what is the nature of the series but not what the length of the finite is. I believe we are both saying there is a finite length but it is no calculable due to the nature of the series.

Hope some of this helps. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
A3) S= 20/(1-9/10)
S=20/(1/10)
S=200 inches.

A2) An=2^(n-1)
An=2^(9-1)
An=2^8
An=256

damn.. q2 was easy..Although, i don't undersatnd how the length in q3 can be finite if the number of loops are infinite... is it cause the length remains the same in each loop so it doesn't matter how many times the loop occurs?

Thanks much for your help guys.. appreciate it :)

jai6638 said:
A3) S= 20/(1-9/10)
S=20/(1/10)
S=200 inches.
This is the sum of infinity. This is what the all the lengths of the loops added together will try and add to.

jai6638 said:
Although, i don't undersatnd how the length in q3 can be finite if the number of loops are infinite... is it cause the length remains the same in each loop so it doesn't matter how many times the loop occurs?
Well take any of the lengths of the loops any distance down. It will be infinite. This means that one of them in infinity will be finite. However, the length can only be given in a formula form (as in my post above).

The Bob (2004 ©)

Related to A) Is the length of the spring finite with infinitely many loops?

What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term. For example, 1, 4, 7, 10, ... is an arithmetic sequence with a common difference of 3.

How do I find the nth term in an arithmetic sequence?

To find the nth term in an arithmetic sequence, you can use the formula: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference. Plug in the values to find the nth term.

What is the difference between an arithmetic sequence and a geometric sequence?

An arithmetic sequence has a constant difference between each term, while a geometric sequence has a constant ratio between each term. In other words, in an arithmetic sequence, you add or subtract the same number to get from one term to the next, whereas in a geometric sequence, you multiply or divide by the same number to get from one term to the next.

How do I find the sum of an arithmetic sequence?

To find the sum of an arithmetic sequence, you can use the formula: Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the nth term. Plug in the values to find the sum.

What are some real-life applications of arithmetic sequences?

Arithmetic sequences are commonly used in finance, such as calculating compound interest and amortization schedules. They are also used in physics to model linear motion and in computer programming for generating sequences of numbers. In daily life, arithmetic sequences can be seen in patterns of numbers, such as in counting, calendars, and musical scales.