Asking recommendation for solid state books

In summary, when seeking a book on solid state physics, Kittel may not be the most engaging option. Other recommended books include Ashcroft & Mermin, Callaway, Yu & Cardona, and Madelung. Ziman's books provide a less rigorous but more intuitive approach, while going back to older texts such as Slater or Seitz can provide a deeper understanding of the subject.
runninglow
i am new to solid state physics.i have tried kittel already.i found it pretty boring.can anybody suggest any other book on this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ashcroft & Mermin, Callaway, Yu & Cardona, Madelung and a whole bunch more...

http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/nav.asp?visgrp=nonfiction&N=170482&Ne=170159+170482

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that Kittel is pretty dry, but so is Ashcroft & Mermin - for a field that is so rich with applications, it's odd that the "standard" texts are so lacking in motivation. I've not read Yu & Cardona or Madelung, so I can't speak for those.

Another couple of good books were written by Ziman, they are not rigorous, but when you sit down and actually read the text around his derivations you'll get a sense of what is actually going on in a solid.

Yu and Cardona hits semiconductors hard and is a great compliment to Ashcroft and Mermin who doesn't really touch them at all. Kittel has a decent mix, but is really the standard along with A&M.

Solid state is full of pick and shovel work, you have to deal with the dry intros out there, but after the fact you can do some really good work. Another good place to start is go back to the really old stuff, Slater or Seitz, they really knew how to write good books and you'll really get an appreciation for how far the subject has come.

1. What are some recommended books for learning about solid state physics?

Some recommended books for learning about solid state physics include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Solid State Physics" by N. W. Ashcroft and N. D. Mermin, and "Fundamentals of Solid State Physics" by J. Richard Christman.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly books for understanding solid state physics?

Yes, some beginner-friendly books for understanding solid state physics include "Solid State Physics for Engineers" by James A. Storer and "A Student's Guide to the Mathematics of Solid State Physics" by Patrick Jacobs.

3. Are there any books that cover both theoretical and experimental aspects of solid state physics?

Yes, "Solid State Physics: An Introduction" by Philip Hofmann covers both theoretical and experimental aspects of solid state physics.

4. Can you recommend any books specifically on the topic of semiconductors?

"Semiconductor Physics and Devices" by Donald A. Neamen is a highly recommended book specifically on the topic of semiconductors.

5. Are there any recent publications on solid state physics that you would recommend?

"The Oxford Solid State Basics" by Steven H. Simon, published in 2013, is a comprehensive and highly recommended recent publication on solid state physics.