1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asking recommendation for solid state books

1. Dec 22, 2008 #1
    i am new to solid state physics.i have tried kittel already.i found it pretty boring.can anybody suggest any other book on this subject?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2008 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Dec 24, 2008 #3
    I agree that Kittel is pretty dry, but so is Ashcroft & Mermin - for a field that is so rich with applications, it's odd that the "standard" texts are so lacking in motivation. I've not read Yu & Cardona or Madelung, so I can't speak for those.

5. Dec 24, 2008 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Another couple of good books were written by Ziman, they are not rigorous, but when you sit down and actually read the text around his derivations you'll get a sense of what is actually going on in a solid.

Yu and Cardona hits semiconductors hard and is a great compliment to Ashcroft and Mermin who doesn't really touch them at all. Kittel has a decent mix, but is really the standard along with A&M.

Solid state is full of pick and shovel work, you have to deal with the dry intros out there, but after the fact you can do some really good work. Another good place to start is go back to the really old stuff, Slater or Seitz, they really knew how to write good books and you'll really get an appreciation for how far the subject has come.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?