Assignment On Couples and moments

In summary: When two force couples have the line of action of the two forces intersecting, the resultant moment is zero. The forces act along the same line, which is why this is a force balance case. In the second case, when the lines of force constituting a couple do not intersect, the resultant moment is nonzero.
darklide
[Urgent]Assignment On Couples and moments

Homework Statement

Two coplanar couples equal and opposite moments balance each other
Hint:
Case1: lines of action constituting the couple intersect

Case2: lines of action constituting the couple do not intersect

Above is what the lecturer gave us. I have really no clue what to do. I have to submit this assignment on monday :S

Homework Equations

Equations on moments and couples i guess

The Attempt at a Solution

Have tried to draw vector diagrams but didnt go too far :(

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question?

Good question!
lol kidding
In fact I am not sure, the lecturer only gave what I've written above
so i guess i have to show two cases where

"Two coplanar couples equal and opposite moments balance each other"

Thats my problem its supposed to be kinda basic but am not sure on how to show it :S

When a force couple has the line of action of the two forces intersect... then the moment is 0. The forces act along the same line... eg: two people pulling at a rope.

first case: So he's asking for a case with two force couples where the two couples each have equal and opposite forces acting along the same line? How about two pairs of people... each pair pulling on a rope in opposite directions? seems a strange case... I'm wondering if I'm understanding the question.

The second case is more significant. when the lines of force constituting a couple aren't intersecting, that means the moment is nonzero. Can you think of a real life case with two opposite couples balancing each other?

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
I'm wondering if I'm understanding the question.

Im same here. I got this question since monday and I've tried to think about it but if ever i get an answer I am not even sure that its good. Or else just as u said before, the case appears to be strange...

Im going to ask the lecturer for more details about the question and I am going to post whatever she told me this afternoon.

What I've investigated so far is to see what happens to the resultant moment on a system in the first case.

If you draw a diagram with two sets of parallel lines (each set separated by a different distance, say [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex]) intersecting each other at some arbitrary angle, say [tex]\theta[/tex], and the sets of forces for the couples , [tex]F_a[/tex] and [tex]F_b[/tex], you can get an equation for the resultant if you slide the force pairs along the lines of action till they meet at the intersection points. The resultants, [tex]R_a[/tex] and [tex]R_b[/tex] (same magnitude), form another couple. I have not solved for the distance between the resultants in terms of [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] yet though.

Last edited:
thx a lot :D
But concerning couples, isn't it that the moment=Fd (where d is the distance between the two forces) whatever the distance is and whatever the angle is?

Im asking that coz i must start the assignment by defining what moment is and then what a couple is...

1. What are couples and moments?

Couples and moments are terms used in physics to describe forces that cause rotational motion. A couple is a pair of forces acting in opposite directions but not in the same line, causing a turning effect on an object. A moment, also known as torque, is the measure of the turning effect of a force. It is calculated as the force applied multiplied by the distance from the pivot point.

2. What is the difference between a couple and a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to move or accelerate, while a couple only causes rotational motion. A force acts in a single line, while a couple acts in two separate lines. Additionally, a couple has no net force or linear acceleration, whereas a force can result in both.

3. How are couples and moments related to each other?

Couples and moments are closely related as a couple is the combination of two equal and opposite forces acting in parallel lines, producing a moment. The moment is the turning effect of the couple, and it is equal to the force multiplied by the distance between the two forces.

4. What is the importance of couples and moments in physics?

Couples and moments are essential in understanding rotational motion and equilibrium in physics. They help explain how objects rotate and how to calculate the forces needed to maintain balance and stability. They are also crucial in engineering and designing structures that can withstand external forces without tipping over.

5. How are couples and moments used in real-life applications?

Couples and moments have many real-life applications, such as in construction, architecture, and engineering. For example, they are used to design bridges and buildings that can withstand strong winds and earthquakes. They are also important in sports, such as gymnastics and figure skating, where rotational forces are essential for performing complex movements and maintaining balance.