Astro Image Stacking (optimize DSS image stacking and post processing)

In summary: I don’t know, explain what you want to do?The goal of image stacking (for me) is to completely remove the sky background across the entire field of view and to compress the dynamic range of the field of view to 'amplify' faint objects with respect to bright stars.
Tom.G said:
Usual? What usual? Enlighten us. I sure don't want to miss those new results!

Cheers,
Tom

I meant the 'amazing universe' thread that everyone posts their pics onto. :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What does that have to do with flats?
Dave Pastern said:
Not really true. PixInsight's "automaticbackgroundextraction" tool does wonders for light pollution.

Dave Pastern said:
Go grab a trial copy of PixInsight and use the tool in question. i think that'll best answer your question.

I'd prefer if you explained why you mentioned a background correction tool in an image processing program, but you quoted the part of my post about flat field images. The two don't appear to be related at all other than being a part of image processing. I'm not going to download the program and potentially spend a few hours guessing about what you meant when you could simply tell me.

Andy Resnick said:
Those are claims. What is your evidence that my stacked images would be significantly improved by either of those reference images?

I don't know about significantly improving your images, but I always shoot dark and bias frames when imaging. They absolutely help my images.

Dave Pastern said:
A very noisy image, looks like it's been stretched too far imho.

hardly touched, and definitely no stretching
you are obviously referring to the wrong image

Dave Pastern said:
Even worse than the above image imho.

yeah, that was my whole point ... that you seemed to miss
His 100+ frames doesn't even compare to an image of much lesser frames

show us your work using the same setup and settings !
put your money where your mouth is :wink:

Drakkith said:
I don't know about significantly improving your images, but I always shoot dark and bias frames when imaging. They absolutely help my images.

I tried incorporating dark and bias frames once, a while ago, and felt that the effort-to-result ratio was too high.

Andy Resnick said:
I tried incorporating dark and bias frames once, a while ago, and felt that the effort-to-result ratio was too high.

I could see there being little noticeable effect if you're shooting short exposures in heavily light polluted skies. The effect from the skyglow is probably orders of magnitude more than dark current and bias. But they are something to be aware of if you start moving to longer exposures, darker skies, or if you want to do 'sciency' stuff that requires precision measurements.

Likes russ_watters and davenn
This is a great thread. To make an analogy it is like how to develop a recipe for lasagna. It has examples and experiences and lots of informative content. This means opinions, supported with examples, are part of the process. So if there are problems with posts, please report them.

Likes Andy Resnick and russ_watters
Thanks for this thread, it is interesting, and I will read it through when I have more time. :smile:

Likes Andy Resnick