What is the absolute magnitude of the sun

In summary: Thanks.In summary, the sun emits energy at a rate of 3.9 * 10^24 100- Watts. It has a constant luminosity, so this amount of energy is produced every second.
Krissy0612
Astronomy Help Please! :)

I am having a problem figuring out this question. On all my other work the questions have been different. Could anyone help me with this Astronomy problem and show me how to work it out? Thank you! Anything would be greatly appreciated.

What is the absolute magnitude of the sun--note apparent is -26 and its distance is 1 AU or 4.85 x 10^-6 parsec?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help you. Also, please only post in one forum at a time.

Okay! Not a problem...I just didn't want to get confused with the stuff I have already done and then information given to me. What I have so far is this:

M= m + 5 - (5 log D)

M= (-26 + 5) - ( 5 log D)
M= (-21) - (5 log D)

***My question is how to figure it out after this. I know it states D= 1 AU or 4.85 x 10^ -6, but I'm not sure what to put there to get the right answer.

Am I on the right track?

Yep. :smile:
Distance is in parsecs.

Instead, try M=-5log(D/10pc)+m
Make sure you're using a base 10 log on your calculator.

Look up the answer in Wikipedia to double check yourself.

ah

does anyone knokw how to figure out-----

what would the length of the synodic month if the moon's sidereal orbital period were (a) one week (7solar days) ; (b) 1 sidereal year.

Hey
can someone help me with the followng 2 questions, i am so confuzed. also tell me how you got the answer
thanks

1. the minimum mass of a star is 0.08 solar mass or 80 Jupiter masses. If the fuel that powered stars was helium instead of hydrogen would the minimum mass of stars be more, les or still be 0.08 sollar mass? (hint: think of the number of protons in nuclei)

2. the sun emits as much energy as 3.9 *10^24 100- Watts light-bulbs (that’s a whole lot of light bulbs!) every second. We call that number its luminosity. Give that the radius of the sun is constant in time, how much energy is produced in the Sun every second? Is it more than, less than or equal to its luminosity? Justify your answer ( no calculations necessary)

Please re-post this as a new thread - it's confusing when people tack a new question onto a years old question on a different topic .
Also you have to make some attempt at an answer

1. What is the absolute magnitude of the sun?

The absolute magnitude of the sun is a measurement of the sun's intrinsic brightness as seen from a distance of 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) away. It is a standardized way of comparing the brightness of stars.

2. How is the absolute magnitude of the sun calculated?

The absolute magnitude of the sun is calculated by taking its apparent magnitude (how bright it appears from Earth) and adjusting it for its distance from Earth. This is done using the inverse square law, which states that the brightness decreases as the distance increases.

3. What is the difference between absolute magnitude and apparent magnitude?

Apparent magnitude is a measure of how bright an object appears to an observer on Earth, while absolute magnitude is a measure of the object's intrinsic brightness. Apparent magnitude takes into account the distance between the object and Earth, while absolute magnitude does not.

4. Why is the absolute magnitude of the sun important?

The absolute magnitude of the sun is important because it allows scientists to compare the brightness of the sun to other stars in the universe. It also provides insight into the sun's energy output and how it compares to other stars.

5. Has the absolute magnitude of the sun changed over time?

No, the absolute magnitude of the sun has not changed over time. It is a constant value that is determined by the sun's intrinsic brightness and distance from Earth. However, the sun's apparent magnitude can change due to external factors such as solar activity and atmospheric conditions on Earth.