Astronomy-particle density/interior temp of sun check

• Thread starter accountkiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sun
In summary, the average number density of particles within the Sun is 7.1*10-52 g/m3 and the approximate temperature necessary for gas pressure to balance gravity within the Sun is 1.406*10^{27} m^{3}. The Sun's interior temperature is estimated to be 9.98E-25 g.
accountkiller
astronomy-particle density/interior temp of sun

Homework Statement

The goal is to estimate the interior temperature of the Sun from its mass and particle density.
a)What is the average number density of particles within the Sun, given that the average mass per particle is about 10-24 gram?

b) What is the approximate temperature necessary for gas pressure to balance gravity within the Sun, given the average particle density from a)?

c) How does your estimate compare with the internal core temperature of the Sun?

Homework Equations

It has a reference to a "Mathematical Insight" problem that uses the equation: Mbalance = 18Msun[tex]\sqrt{\frac{T^{3}}{n}}[/tex] ... Mbalance being the minimum mass required to balance the force between pressure and gravity in star formation, and n being particles per unit area.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
V = [tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex] * [tex]\pi[/tex] * R3 = [tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex] * [tex]\pi[/tex] * (6.95*108)3 = 1.406 * 1027 m3
density = mass / volume = (10-24 g) / (1.406 * 1027 m3) = 7.1 * 10-52 g/m3

Did I do that the right way? I have a weird feeling about the mass.. was I supposed to just use the mass/particle they gave me? So then my volume is the density of one particle per m3? I'm really confused on that, I'd appreciate any clearance.

b)
Well, I'm assuming this is the part they want us to use that mathemtical equation on.. but if I solve the equation for T, what is my Mbalance? Is it just what I got for volume times what I got for density? ... That would then be 9.98E-25 g - way too tiny!

c)
Not here yet.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a) you need to use the sun's mass and the average mass per particle to work out the number density of particles.

Like this?

[tex]\frac{10^{-24} g}{particle}[/tex] * [tex]\frac{1}{2*10^{33} g}[/tex]

[The sun's mass flipped so that the units cancel out]

That leaves me with [tex]2*10^{57}[/tex] particles.

Now I need particles per volume for density... so [tex]2*10^{57}[/tex] particles per volume of the sun... which is [tex]1.406*10^{27} m^{3}[/tex]

So my answer is 2E57 particles / 1.406E27 [tex]m^{3}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1.4E30 particles}{m^{3}}[/tex]

Correct?

Then for part b), how do I get Mbalance?

Last edited:
Part a) looks ok. You should divide mass of the sun by mass per particle. You have a good answer anyway. For part b) you will need to go back to the equation your book referenced and that you wrote down in the first post.

Well, I have the equation but it has two unknowns. I have the n, particles per unit area. Then it asks me to find T, the temperature, but I also don't know M_balance. Usually, we are asked to find M_balance given the temperature, but in this reverse case, am I supposed to find M_balance in some table in the index or is there actually a way I can get it?

1. What is the particle density of the sun's interior?

The particle density of the sun's interior is approximately 150 g/cm³. This is much higher than the density of water, which is only 1 g/cm³.

2. How is the particle density of the sun's interior measured?

The particle density of the sun's interior is measured using a technique called helioseismology, which involves studying the vibrations and oscillations of the sun's surface to infer its interior density.

3. What is the temperature at the center of the sun?

The temperature at the center of the sun, also known as the core, is estimated to be around 27 million degrees Fahrenheit (15 million degrees Celsius). This is hot enough to sustain nuclear fusion reactions that power the sun.

4. How does the temperature of the sun's interior change with depth?

The temperature of the sun's interior increases with depth, reaching its maximum at the core. This is due to the immense pressure and energy generated by the nuclear fusion reactions happening at the core.

5. Why is it important to study the particle density and interior temperature of the sun?

Studying the particle density and interior temperature of the sun helps us better understand the processes and dynamics happening within the sun. This information is crucial for predicting and understanding solar activity, which can have significant impacts on Earth and our technological systems.