1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atmosphere layers

  1. Jan 24, 2010 #1

    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

    Consider a one layer atmosphere for the planet Venus. 19% of incoming solar radiation is absorbed by the atmosphere. 99% of the outgoing radiation is absorbed by the atmosphere. The incoming radiation, E, as measured by satellite is 615 Wm-2.

    1) Derive two equations, one for the top of the atmosphere and the other for the Venusian surface in terms of x, y and E. Solve for the surface and atmospheric temperatures.



    2. Relevant equations
    None we need to create the equations but i do not know where to start.


    3. The attempt at a solution
    Please help! i have no clue where to start
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data



    2. Relevant equations



    3. The attempt at a solution
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2

    Andrew Mason

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    If 19% of the incoming radiation from the sun is absorbed, what happens to the other 81%? If the whole atmosphere is in thermal equilibrium, what must the lower atmosphere radiate back out?

    AM
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Atmosphere layers
  1. Dipole Layer (Replies: 0)

  2. Planetary Atmosphere! (Replies: 1)

  3. Pluto's Atmosphere (Replies: 2)

  4. Mass of the atmosphere (Replies: 2)

Loading...