Atmospheric pressure in the higher tank

In summary: This is an interesting question.You might be able to get energy from the water in the supply tube, but it's not clear how much.
Idea04

Homework Statement

If you had a tube running from the top of one tank at a lower level to the top of another tank at a higher level.
And the water could only flow in one direction towards the higher tank.
And the water level in the high tank started to descend.
I think the tube would pull water up because of atmospheric pressure on the low tank pushing the water up.
But what makes the water in the supply tube of the higher level tank descend?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Wouldn't the atmospheric pressure in the higher tank transfer its pressure to the water in the tube. So the water in the supply tube is 14.7psi. the same pressure as the surface of the water in the tank.
Or does gravitational potential energy play a factor

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the difference in the atmospheric pressure at the lower tank compared to that at the upper tank?

I just thought that there would be other forces involved in forcing the fluid to move.

I'm not saying that the only thing to consider is the atmospheric pressure. You brought it up, so I figured at least we could calculate the difference to see how significant that effect might be...

Okay but if you have water in the supply tube at a higher level than the tank wouldn't the water want to move from higher elevation to lower elevation.

This question is tricky depending on the details.
The water should like to lower its P.E., yes.

So would the need for the water to lower it P.E., would that allow the water to flow.

Uncomplicated answer-yes.

can you give me the complicated answer so I can understand it properly

lol. What level class is this question from?

Last question.
Does the descending water in the tank give energy to the water in the supply tube.

What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the weight of the air above a certain point on Earth's surface. It is caused by the force of gravity pulling down on the air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere.

How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure is typically measured using a barometer, which measures the height of a column of mercury or aneroid barometer which uses a sealed chamber of air to measure pressure changes.

What is the relationship between atmospheric pressure and altitude?

The higher the altitude, the lower the atmospheric pressure. This is because there is less air above a certain point at higher altitudes, resulting in less weight and therefore less pressure.

Why does atmospheric pressure change?

Atmospheric pressure changes due to various factors such as changes in temperature, humidity, and wind patterns. It can also vary due to the presence of weather systems, such as high or low pressure systems.

How does atmospheric pressure affect weather patterns?

The differences in atmospheric pressure across different regions can cause air to move from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure, resulting in wind and changes in weather patterns. High pressure systems are often associated with clear and dry weather, while low pressure systems can bring precipitation and storms.