Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic Emission Spectra

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    Why does neon have more spectral lines than helium? Is the atomic spectrum based on an element's electron configuration?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It doesn't. It may have more spectral lines in the VISIBLE range, but not more or less than He.

Zz.

4. Nov 5, 2005 #3
    But why are more lines present in the visible range?

5. Nov 5, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Because the energy levels are different. The 0th order approximation would be that the heavier atoms have more "dense" energy state than the lighter ones. So the energy difference between a particle principle level is smaller.

Zz.

6. Nov 5, 2005 #5
    What exactly is a particle principle level?

I'm sorry. Some of these terms, such as the zeroth order approx., are new to me.

7. Nov 5, 2005 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I mistyped. I meant to say

"So the energy difference between a particle's principle energy level is smaller."

What you need to do is look at the expression for the Rydberg energy level as an elementary example. Then use various nuclear charge Z from 1 to how ever large you want it. Then see the energy difference between, let's say n=4 and n=3 changing as Z gets larger. This energy difference is what is emitted when the atom decays.

Zz.

8. Nov 7, 2005 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?