Attempt to combine Charles and Boyles laws

• Thread starter johns123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary: I'm in a junior level class but I'm 73 and haven't seen this in 55 years .. so it's like learning for the first time.)I don't know if I can find a site to post this, but I've accumulated a lot on this problem. One site was very helpful and I think I have a lot of the math worked out. It's the common temperature problem .. but what does it mean?
johns123

Homework Statement

At altitude of 160 km, the density of the air is 1.5 x 10^-9 kg/m^3

also the temp at that altitude is 500 K ( that's what it says! )

What is the pressure at that altitude?

Homework Equations

pV = nRT and mass density of air = "rho"

the 1-values are at STP, the 2-values are at altitude

p1 = 1ATM ; rho1 = 29 kg/m^3 ; T1 = 273 K

And I don't see that either vol or temp is being
held constant, so just Boyle's or Charle's law
cannot apply alone ( in my opinion ).

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can establish a ratio between these values at altitude
and the same values at STP and calc the unknown p2. Do you agree?

p1 * V1 n1 * R * T1
_______ = ___________ Where the Rs cancel

p2 * V2 n2 * R * T2

so p2 = p1 [ ( n2 V1 T2 ) / ( n1 V2 T1 )

but ( n2/V2 ) / (n1/V1) should equal ( rho2 / rho1 )

giving p2 = p1 * ( rho2/rho1 ) * T2/T1

Physics news on Phys.org
johns123 said:

Homework Statement

At altitude of 160 km, the density of the air is 1.5 x 10^-9 kg/m^3

also the temp at that altitude is 500 K ( that's what it says! )

What is the pressure at that altitude?
I think you are supposed to assume the air has the same molecular mass as it has near the surface (ie. M = 29 g/mol = .029 kg/mol)

At 160 km altitude you are into the thermosphere. The molecules are moving around rather quickly but not a lot of total energy due to low density.

Work out the number of moles / m3. (n/V) and then use PV=nRT to find the pressure.

AM

OK. Thanks. I'm struggling with concepts here .. a battle of definitions. I'll solve it your way and post that.

Finally, I think I understand it ( I hope )

If air density at altitude is 1.5 x 10^-9 kg/m^3 at 500K and ( your hint ) M = .29 kg/mole that gives

1.5 x 10^-9 / .29 = 5.172 x 10^-9 moles/m^3 .. which is ( your hint ) = n/V

and now use pV = nRT or p = (n/V)RT = 5.172 x 10^-9 ( 8.81 joules/molesK ) 500k ( and the units work )

so finally ( after 2 weeks ) p = 42.98 x 10^-9 pascals ( I sure hope so .. thanks )

johns123 said:
Finally, I think I understand it ( I hope )

If air density at altitude is 1.5 x 10^-9 kg/m^3 at 500K and ( your hint ) M = .29 kg/mole that gives

1.5 x 10^-9 / .29 = 5.172 x 10^-9 moles/m^3 .. which is ( your hint ) = n/V
My hint was to use M = .029 Kg/mol. Where did you get .29 Kg/mol?

and now use pV = nRT or p = (n/V)RT = 5.172 x 10^-9 ( 8.81 joules/molesK ) 500k ( and the units work )

so finally ( after 2 weeks ) p = 42.98 x 10^-9 pascals ( I sure hope so .. thanks )
The approach is correct. But where do you get R=8.81 J/mol K? And you appear to have forgotten to multiply by T. So your answer is about 4 orders of magnitude too low. Other than that...

AM

I think I need to learn to type :-) it's 8.31 J/mk. I was just copying out of my notebook. Try again.

n/V = 1.5 x 10^-9 kg/m^3 / .029 kg/mole = 51.724 x 10^-9 moles/m^3

and using p = (n/V)RT = 51.724 x 10^-9 ( 8.31 ) 500K = 214913.22 x 10^-9 pa ( I really hate this calculator )

thanks

johns123 said:
I think I need to learn to type :-) it's 8.31 J/mk. I was just copying out of my notebook. Try again.

n/V = 1.5 x 10^-9 kg/m^3 / .029 kg/mole = 51.724 x 10^-9 moles/m^3

and using p = (n/V)RT = 51.724 x 10^-9 ( 8.31 ) 500K = 214913.22 x 10^-9 pa ( I really hate this calculator )

thanks
You should round to 2 or 3 significant figures and express the answer in normalized scientific notation. But the answer is correct.

AM

Thanks Andrew. I think this one problem holds the key to a world of conversions that are left out of the books. I am using 3 books trying to learn one chapter.

1. What are Charles and Boyle's laws?

Charles and Boyle's laws are two gas laws that describe the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. Charles's law states that at constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. Boyle's law states that at constant temperature, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume.

2. Can Charles and Boyle's laws be combined?

Yes, Charles and Boyle's laws can be combined to form the ideal gas law. The ideal gas law states that the product of pressure and volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This can be represented as P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where P1, V1, and T1 are the initial values and P2, V2, and T2 are the final values.

3. What is the significance of combining these two laws?

Combining Charles and Boyle's laws allows us to predict the behavior of gases at different temperatures and pressures. This is useful in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering, where the properties of gases need to be understood and controlled.

4. How is the combined law applied in real-life situations?

The combined law is applied in many real-life situations, such as scuba diving, where changes in pressure and temperature affect the volume of air in a scuba tank. It is also used in the design of gas storage tanks and in the production of industrial gases.

5. Are there any limitations to the combined law?

The combined law assumes that the gas behaves ideally, meaning that there are no intermolecular forces and the molecules have no volume. This is not always the case in real-life situations, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. In these cases, the combined law may not accurately predict the behavior of gases.