Autism and genius

• Thread starter Bestfrog
  • Start date
Bestfrog
Sometimes I read about children affected by autism that get a master degree in Physics at the age of 14-17.
They seems the geniuses of the modern age, but are they really geniuses?
Do you think that a very high IQ is the key for a physicist to do a sensational discovery in his subject? Or this cleverness and super-speed of learning is not enough? Does a very brilliant physicist requires a little bit of imagination and a sort of fancy, doesn't he?
Tell me what you think.

Answers and Replies

jtbell
Mentor
What happened to them after they got their master's? What kind of jobs did they end up getting?

tech99
Gold Member
Sometimes I read about children affected by autism that get a master degree in Physics at the age of 14-17.
They seems the geniuses of the modern age, but are they really geniuses?
Do you think that a very high IQ is the key for a physicist to do a sensational discovery in his subject? Or this cleverness and super-speed of learning is not enough? Does a very brilliant physicist requires a little bit of imagination and a sort of fancy, doesn't he?
Tell me what you think.
Only a small fraction of children on the autistic spectrum have the high acting or "genius" type.
A physicist will require imagination and creativity to make discoveries, and he may need to work in a team, so high intelligence alone is probably not enough.