1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Current Simple

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    Average Current...Simple....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A typical American family uses 1430 kWh of electricity a month.
    What is the average current in the 110 V power line to the house?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Don't I just change kWh to W and divide it by the voltage...
    1430 x10^3 = 1430000 / 110 = 13,000A which is def. not right lol.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2
    Well, [itex][\text{kW}\cdot\text{h}][/itex] is not the same thing as a kW, which you can convert to W. Instead, [itex][\text{kW}\cdot\text{h}][/itex] is power (kW) multiplied by time (h), which is energy. You have the equation right (i.e. E = iV), but you need to convert to the SI unit of energy, the joule. How would you do that?
  4. Feb 6, 2008 #3
    Do 1430x10^3 * 3600s = 5.148x10^9 J
  5. Feb 6, 2008 #4
    but what now?
  6. Feb 6, 2008 #5
    You had the right idea before with your equation E = iV. You know E, you know V, so you can find i.
  7. Feb 6, 2008 #6
    but what is E? Its not measured in J?
  8. Feb 6, 2008 #7
    Sorry, that is my mistake. I'm not thinking very clearly today. Power is iV, so you are right to be confused. You know that she uses 1430 kWh in a month. You can find out how many seconds are in a month, and figure out the average power, in kW or W. Then you divide by voltage to find the current.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?