Calculating Average Current for a Typical American Family's Electricity Usage

In summary, to find the average current in the 110 V power line for a typical American family using 1430 kWh of electricity a month, you would first convert the energy (kWh) to joules (J). Then, using the equation E = iV, you can find the average power and divide by the voltage to find the current.
BuBbLeS01
Average Current...Simple...

Homework Statement

A typical American family uses 1430 kWh of electricity a month.
What is the average current in the 110 V power line to the house?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't I just change kWh to W and divide it by the voltage...
1430 x10^3 = 1430000 / 110 = 13,000A which is def. not right lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, [itex][\text{kW}\cdot\text{h}][/itex] is not the same thing as a kW, which you can convert to W. Instead, [itex][\text{kW}\cdot\text{h}][/itex] is power (kW) multiplied by time (h), which is energy. You have the equation right (i.e. E = iV), but you need to convert to the SI unit of energy, the joule. How would you do that?

Do 1430x10^3 * 3600s = 5.148x10^9 J

but what now?

You had the right idea before with your equation E = iV. You know E, you know V, so you can find i.

but what is E? Its not measured in J?

Sorry, that is my mistake. I'm not thinking very clearly today. Power is iV, so you are right to be confused. You know that she uses 1430 kWh in a month. You can find out how many seconds are in a month, and figure out the average power, in kW or W. Then you divide by voltage to find the current.

What is average current?

Average current is a measure of the overall amount of electric charge flowing through a circuit in a given amount of time.

How is average current calculated?

Average current is calculated by dividing the total charge that passes through a circuit by the time it takes for that charge to pass.

What is the unit of measurement for average current?

The unit of measurement for average current is amperes (A), which is equivalent to one coulomb of charge passing through a circuit in one second.

What is the difference between average current and instantaneous current?

Average current is a measure of the overall flow of charge through a circuit, while instantaneous current is the amount of charge flowing at a specific moment in time. Average current takes into account fluctuations in instantaneous current over time.

Why is average current important in circuit analysis?

Average current is important in circuit analysis because it allows us to understand the overall behavior and performance of a circuit. It also helps us to calculate the power dissipated in a circuit and determine the appropriate size of components needed for a circuit to function properly.