Calculate Average Energy Use/Month

In summary, we have a question about energy usage and cost from a local power company. Assuming a charge of 6.3 cents per kilowatt hour and a recent bill of $27.00, we calculate the average energy usage to be 595.23809523808 Joules per second for the month. If 2/3 of this energy was from a 120 V air-conditioner, it would have drawn 3.21 Coulombs per second.
NickCherryJiggz
I'm helping a friend with this question and wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly...

Suppose your local power company charges 6.3 cents per kilowatt hour and your most recent bill came to $27.00. How much energy, on average, did you use (in Joules) per second last month? Assume that the billing period covered 30 days.

$27.00/($0.063/kilowatt hour) = 428.571428... kilowatt hours

428.57... * (3.6 x 10^6) = (1.5428571428571 * 10^9 Joules)/month = M

M / (30 * 24 * 60 * 60) = 595.23809523808 Joules/second

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's okay.U may want to learn the concept of significant figures,though...:rolleyes:

Daniel.

Thank you, Daniel...Sorry about the sigdigs.
I know these are just silly conversions for the most part, but could someone please verify the second half of the question as well?

Now pretend that roughly 2/3 of the energy usage last month was a result of a 120 V air-conditioner, how many Coulombs of charge per second did that air-conditioner draw?

595.24... * 2/3 = 396.83...J/s
V = J/C
120 Volts = (396.83... J/s) / (Coulombs/s)
3.21 Coulombs/second

It looks okay to me.

Daniel.

What is the purpose of calculating average energy use per month?

The purpose of calculating average energy use per month is to gain an understanding of how much energy is being consumed within a specific time period. This information can be used to identify patterns and trends in energy usage and make informed decisions about energy conservation and cost-saving measures.

What data do I need to calculate average energy use per month?

In order to calculate average energy use per month, you will need to collect data on the amount of energy consumed each day for the entire month. This can be obtained from your energy bills or by using a smart meter. Make sure to record the data accurately and consistently for the most accurate results.

How do I calculate average energy use per month?

To calculate average energy use per month, you will need to add up the total energy consumption for each day in the month and divide it by the number of days in the month. This will give you the average energy use per day. To get the average energy use per month, multiply the average daily energy use by the number of days in the month.

What are some factors that can affect average energy use per month?

There are several factors that can affect average energy use per month, such as changes in weather, household size, and energy-saving behaviors. Other factors may include the type of energy sources used, the efficiency of appliances, and the insulation of the home. It is important to consider these factors when analyzing and interpreting the data.

Why is it important to track and monitor average energy use per month?

Tracking and monitoring average energy use per month is important for several reasons. It can help identify areas where energy conservation measures can be implemented, leading to cost savings and reduced environmental impact. It can also help detect any unusual spikes or patterns in energy use, which could indicate a malfunction or inefficiency in the energy system. Additionally, tracking energy use over time can help evaluate the effectiveness of energy-saving efforts.