Average force exerted on the coin by the soil

In summary, the problem involves a coin of mass 10g being dropped from the top of a building and falling into soil, penetrating to a depth of 5cm after 10 seconds. The goal is to calculate the average force exerted on the coin by the soil. There are multiple approaches to solving this problem, including using the equations F=ma or F= m(v-u)/t, or considering the work done on the coin by the soil. The solution can also be derived by using energy equations. Ultimately, the average force exerted by the soil on the coin can be calculated using the formula F = m(v1^2)/(2d) + m.g
terainfizik

Homework Statement

A coin of mass 10g is dropped from the top of a tall building. If after failing for 10s , it falls intosoil and penetrates to a depth of 5cm, calculate

(Q) the average force exerted on the coin by the soil.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I use F=ma ? or use F= m( v-u ) / t ? to get the solution ?
Give me hint !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
terainfizik said:

Homework Statement

A coin of mass 10g is dropped from the top of a tall building. If after failing for 10s , it falls intosoil and penetrates to a depth of 5cm, calculate

(Q) the average force exerted on the coin by the soil.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Give me hint !

Given that they ask for the average force and that anyway you don't know anything else but the begin and end velocities (in the soil), it is the second of your formulas that you should use.

vanesch said:
Given that they ask for the average force and that anyway you don't know anything else but the begin and end velocities (in the soil), it is the second of your formulas that you should use.

The end of the velocities ( in the soil ) should be zero ? Is that mean F= m(v-u)/t , where m= weight of coin , v= ending speed of dropping into the soil ? and u=initial speed of dropping from the building ( zero also ? )
Guide me please.

terainfizik said:
The end of the velocities ( in the soil ) should be zero ? Is that mean F= m(v-u)/t , where m= weight of coin , v= ending speed of dropping into the soil ? and u=initial speed of dropping from the building ( zero also ? )
Guide me please.

The end velocity in the soil is zero of course, because when it has penetrated its 5 cm, I guess it is not moving anymore. The begin velocity in the soil is however, the velocity the object obtained in free fall.

So you should first solve the free fall problem to get this "final" velocity of the fall (which is the initial velocity of the next stage of motion: the penetration in the soil).

terainfizik said:
The first equation would work just fine, once you calculate the acceleration. Since you don't have the time that it takes the coin to come to rest, that second equation won't help (unless you figure out the time first!).

Another approach is to consider the work done on the coin by the soil. That's the approach I would recommend.

Doc Al said:
The first equation would work just fine, once you calculate the acceleration. Since you don't have the time that it takes the coin to come to rest, that second equation won't help (unless you figure out the time first!).

Another approach is to consider the work done on the coin by the soil. That's the approach I would recommend.

That's also an idea.

The way I wanted to propose this was:
you calculate the average force by having "start velocity minus final velocity"/t, but with t as of yet unknown.

That average force gives you (containing the unknown t) the average acceleration, and then you use s = a(t)/2 t^2 = 5cm to solve for the unknown t.

It's all good--any of these three approaches will work just fine, if you are careful. So pick one and get busy! :smile:

Note: Once the coin hits the soil there are two forces acting on it.

Doc Al said:

I think Doc is right on this one. I can't seem to solve this problem using momentum.
0 = (m)(v) + (F1)(t1) - (F2)(t1); t1 is the impact time, F1 is gravity, F2 is soil
0 = (m)(g)(t2) + (m)(g)(t1) + (F2)(t1); t2 is fall time (10s)
0 = (0.010)(9.8)(10) + (0.010)(9.8)(t1) + (F2)(t1)
F2 is the answer to the problem and t1 is unknown
t1 is derived from:
d = (1/2)(a)(t^2); d is 5cm, a is unknown
a is derived from:
(v1 - v2)/t; where t is the same t as the above equation

It's like one would need to substitute a bunch of things over and over again to get the right answer.

Energy is very straight forward
0 = (1/2)(m)(v^2) + (m)(g)(d) - (F)(d); d is the soil distance of 5cm, F is soil
0 = (1/2)(m)[(g)(t)]^2 + (m)(g)(d) + (F)(d)
0 = (1/2)(0.010)[(9.8)(10)]^2 + (0.010)(9.8)(0.05) - (F)(0.05)
Solve for F

Thank you for giving me these hints . I have worked it out . You guys shows clear statements working .

ShawnD said:
I think Doc is right on this one. I can't seem to solve this problem using momentum.
0 = (m)(v) + (F1)(t1) - (F2)(t1); t1 is the impact time, F1 is gravity, F2 is soil
0 = (m)(g)(t2) + (m)(g)(t1) + (F2)(t1); t2 is fall time (10s)
0 = (0.010)(9.8)(10) + (0.010)(9.8)(t1) + (F2)(t1)
F2 is the answer to the problem and t1 is unknown
t1 is derived from:
d = (1/2)(a)(t^2); d is 5cm, a is unknown
a is derived from:
(v1 - v2)/t; where t is the same t as the above equation

Yes, but this is easy:

v2 = 0
a = v1/t, hence d = 1/2 v1/t (t^2) = 1/2 v1 t from which follows t = 2 d / v1
F = m v1/t = m v1^2/(2 d)

But if you want to take into account the extra m.g acting, then we have to add this: F' = F + m.g

Now, it is true that the energetic approach is clearly the most straightforward one...

What is average force exerted on the coin by the soil?

The average force exerted on the coin by the soil is the total force applied on the coin over a given period of time, divided by the amount of time. This provides an overall measurement of the force experienced by the coin.

How is the average force exerted on the coin by the soil calculated?

The average force is calculated by dividing the total force applied on the coin by the amount of time during which the force was applied. This can be represented by the formula: Average Force = Total Force / Time.

Why is it important to know the average force exerted on the coin by the soil?

Knowing the average force exerted on the coin by the soil is important because it helps to understand the overall impact of the soil on the coin. This information can be used to determine the strength and durability of the coin and the potential for damage or deformation.

What factors can affect the average force exerted on the coin by the soil?

There are several factors that can affect the average force exerted on the coin by the soil, including the type of soil, the weight and composition of the coin, and the duration of time the coin is in contact with the soil. Other factors such as temperature, moisture, and pressure can also play a role.

How can the average force exerted on the coin by the soil be measured?

The average force exerted on the coin by the soil can be measured using various techniques such as force sensors, strain gauges, or by calculating the change in velocity of the coin. Advanced technologies like computer simulations can also be used to estimate the average force exerted on the coin by the soil.