Calc Average Total Force for 50kg Cyclist on 1km Hill

In summary, the cyclist needs to expend energy to make it up the hill. To calculate the force required, the cyclist would need to use the pythagorean theorem to find the angle of the hill and then use equation a=g sin (theta). Once they have found "a", they would calculate f=ma.
jenc305
How do I go about solving this equation. Thanks.

A 50kg cyclist, pedaling at 20 km/hr = 5.56m/s, climbs a 1 km hill in 30mins (.556m/s). What average total force on her bicycle is required for her to make it up the hill in this amount of time?

I know that I have to find the acceleration to calculate the force, since N=(kg*m)/s^2. What equation would I use to accomplish this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you left something out of the statement of the problem. Given the information you provided the cyclist could just as well be coasting on level ground without expending any energy.

As the speed is uniform how could acceleration be there.
Force required to make it up the hill is equal to the force to overcome friction, if mentioned, work done against the gravity.
{i am not 100% sure but most probably it's true}

Interesting...that is all the information I was given.

So I wouldn't calculate acceleration since the cyclist is working against gravity.

If I used f=mg (g=-9.8m/s^2)would that determine the total force?

Oh, the "1 km" hill must refer to the HEIGHT of the hill! If that's the case then you can do it! Basically, how much energy is required to raise the cyclist through 1 km?

ooh..ok

So I would use the pythagorean theorem to find the angle and then use equation a=g sin (theta). Once I have found "a" then I can calculate f=ma.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

This question is poorly formulated. Since the bike is not accelerating, the total force on it must be zero. But I'm guessing that they want you to figure out the frictional force parallel to the hill that the ground must exert on the bike tires to overcome gravity. Find the angle of the hill and the component of the weight down the hill. That's what the friction must overcome.

You may want to ask your instructor for clarification.

1. How do you calculate the average total force for a 50kg cyclist on a 1km hill?

To calculate the average total force, you need to divide the work done by the distance traveled. In this case, the work done is equal to the product of the cyclist's weight and the height of the hill. The distance traveled is the length of the hill, which is 1km. So, the formula for calculating average total force is: Average Total Force = Weight of Cyclist x Height of Hill / Distance Traveled.

2. What is the weight of a 50kg cyclist?

The weight of a 50kg cyclist is simply 50kg. Weight is a measurement of the force of gravity acting on an object, and it is typically measured in units of mass, such as kilograms.

3. How do you determine the height of a 1km hill?

The height of a hill can be determined by using a variety of methods, such as using a topographical map or a GPS device. However, for the purpose of calculating average total force, the height of the hill can be approximated by measuring the change in elevation from the base to the peak of the hill.

4. Why is it important to calculate the average total force for a cyclist on a hill?

Calculating the average total force for a cyclist on a hill is important because it helps us understand the amount of work and energy required to overcome the force of gravity and travel up the hill. This information can be useful for training purposes and for understanding the physical demands of cycling on varying terrains.

5. Can the average total force for a cyclist on a hill be different for each individual cyclist?

Yes, the average total force for a cyclist on a hill can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the weight and fitness level of the cyclist, the type of bike and gear being used, and the gradient and surface of the hill. Therefore, it is important to calculate the average total force for each individual cyclist to get a more accurate understanding of their performance on a specific hill.