1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average translational kinetic energy of nitrogen molecule

1. Jan 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2.0 moles of nitrogen (N2) gas are placed in a container whose volume is 8.4 10-3 m3. The pressure of the gas is 4.7 105 Pa. What is the average translational kinetic energy of a nitrogen molecule?

average KEN2 = WebAssign will check your answer for the correct number of significant figures. J

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

No equations, no attempt at solving?

4. Jan 10, 2008 #3
    Attempt

2.0 moles of nitrogen (N2) gas are placed in a container whose volume is 8.4e-3 m3. The pressure of the gas is 4.7e5 Pa. What is the average translational kinetic energy of a nitrogen molecule?

So I used PV=nRT and solved for T, after solving for Temperature, I used KE=3/2kT and solved for the total kinetic energy. Now is this my final answer or are there more steps to this problem?

5. Jan 10, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

the *total* kinetic energy due to translational motion is 3/2 NkT

you have solved for the kinetic energy of a typical molecule. which is what you want.

6. Jan 11, 2008 #5

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

For a diatomic gas, you should use 5/2 KT.

7. Jan 11, 2008 #6

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

mmm... no, he/she used PV=nRT to solve for the temperature which holds for any kind of ideal gas, be it composed of molecules or not... cf. Landau + Lif****z Stat Mech Volume I, section 42. then the translational kinetic energy is just 3/2 kT. cheers.

8. Jan 12, 2008 #7

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Quite right upto the point of finding T. But after finding T, he/she has used E_av = 3/2 KT, which will be true for point masses with only 3 degrees of freedom. The rotational energy is being neglected. So, E_av = 5/2 KT will give the correct answer.

9. Jan 12, 2008 #8

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

but the question in the original post asks only for the average *translational* kinetic energy.

10. Jan 12, 2008 #9

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

OK, I missed the "translational". In that case, it should be 3/2 KT. Thanks.

11. Jan 12, 2011 #10
    Re: Problem

and what is K? is that the same as nr?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?