Average value of components of angular momentum for a wave packet

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with integrals evaluating to 0 in classical mechanics involving a free particle with nonzero angular momentum with respect to the y axis. The individual has already typed up the problem in latex and has shown their work for the y and z components of angular momentum, but still gets a result of 0. They mention a potential issue with the method and the antisymmetric nature of the integrand. Another person points out an error in the derivation of equation (7) and the individual realizes their mistake, leading to a result of ##bp_0##.
Nelsonc
Homework Statement
Given a wave packet as shown (see below), find the mean value of angular momentum components L_x, L_y, L_z with regard to point (a,0,-b) where a and b (the impact parameter) are nonzero
Relevant Equations
\frac{1}{\pi^{3/4} \sqrt{\sigma_x\sigma_y\sigma_z}}e^{-(x^2/2{\sigma_x}^2+y^2/2{\sigma_y}^2+z^2/2{\sigma_z}^2)}e^{i(p_0/\hbar)x}
I have typed up the main problem in latex (see photo below)
problem.png

It seems all such integrals evaluates to 0, but that is apparantly unreasonable for in classical mechanics such a free particle is with nonzero angular momentum with respect to y axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nelsonc said:
It seems all such integrals evaluates to 0, but that is apparantly unreasonable for in classical mechanics such a free particle is with nonzero angular momentum with respect to y axis.
You didn't show your work for the y and z components of angular momentum. You shouldn't get zero for the y component.

Thanks for the reminder, but I have already done so and it turns out they all goes to 0, so there must be something awry with my method. In particular, there seems always to be one spacial part of the integrand to be antisymmetric so that the whole integral goes to 0 (please refer to the image attached). Moreover, I know that classically a free particle moving in such fashion would have y angular momentum component being ##bp_0##

problem_2.png

In deriving equation (7), check your result for ##\large \frac{\partial \psi'}{\partial x}##. Did you use the product rule when taking the derivative of the product of the Gaussian function and the function ##e^{i(p_0/\hbar)x}##?

I see, thanks so much for catching that error! Now the calculation generates ##bp_0## as a result.

Likes TSny

1. What is the average value of components of angular momentum for a wave packet?

The average value of components of angular momentum for a wave packet is a measure of the average amount of rotational motion present in the wave packet. It is calculated by taking the expectation value of the angular momentum operator over the wave packet.

2. How is the average value of components of angular momentum for a wave packet related to the uncertainty principle?

The average value of components of angular momentum for a wave packet is related to the uncertainty principle through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that it is impossible to know the exact values of both the angular momentum and the position of a particle simultaneously. Therefore, the more certain we are about the average value of the angular momentum, the less certain we can be about the position of the particle.

3. Can the average value of components of angular momentum for a wave packet be negative?

Yes, the average value of components of angular momentum for a wave packet can be negative. This indicates that the wave packet has a net angular momentum in the opposite direction of the chosen axis of measurement. However, the magnitude of the average value will still be a positive number.

4. How does the shape of a wave packet affect its average value of components of angular momentum?

The shape of a wave packet can affect its average value of components of angular momentum. If the wave packet has a symmetric shape, the average value of angular momentum will be zero. However, if the wave packet has an asymmetric shape, the average value of angular momentum will be non-zero and can vary depending on the shape and orientation of the packet.

5. How can the average value of components of angular momentum for a wave packet be experimentally measured?

The average value of components of angular momentum for a wave packet can be experimentally measured using techniques such as angular momentum spectroscopy or diffraction experiments. These techniques involve measuring the angular distribution of the wave packet and using mathematical analysis to determine the average value of angular momentum.