What is the Velocity of the Meteor?

In summary: Don't forget to use the calculator correctly as well!In summary, the conversation involved finding the magnitude and direction of the average velocity of a meteor moving from point A to point B. The correct method involved using Pythagorean's theorem to find the magnitude and inverse tangent to find the direction, taking into account the coordinates and time given. The original attempts included incorrect calculations and misunderstanding of basic trigonometry principles.
teababy

Homework Statement

A meteor streaking through the night sky is located with radar. At point A its coordinates are (5.20km, 1.20km), and 1.18 s later its has moved to point B with coordinates (6.24, 0.915).

1. Find the magnitude of its average velocity between these two points.

2. Find the direction of its average velocity between these two points. ( degree is counterwise from +x axis.)

Homework Equations

No equations were given

The Attempt at a Solution

First i added all the x components and squared it. Then I added all the y components and squared it. Took the square root and got 8.2616

I took the 8.2616 and divided by the time of 1.18seconds

But the answer is wrong. :( !

Help please~
Teababy

Physics news on Phys.org
teababy said:
First i added all the x components and squared it. Then I added all the y components and squared it. Took the square root and got 8.2616

I would try drawing a figure, perhaps on some graph paper, and locate the two given points on the figure. Draw the right triangle that is appropriate for figuring out the distance between the points, and take it from there.

to find the distance it covers, you subtract the x coordinates and square the result. do the same for the y coordinates. add the result and then find its square root.

Leong said:
to find the distance it covers, you subtract the x coordinates and square the result. do the same for the y coordinates. add the result and then find its square root.

I subtracted x2-x1 and added it with y2-y1 and took the square root

my magnitude came out to be 1.0703 but it was wrong

i get 1.0783. then divide it by 1.18 s, then the answer is ... km/s. if you need to express the answer in other unit, then convert the unit.

You have to realize that the problem you are dealing with is with a coordinate system. So to find the distance it covers in the x direction you would do as you did and subtract the two. Same for y.

Knowing that, use a triangle and Pythagorean's theorem to find the magnitude.

-Sorry guess you already did all that, I didn't check your answer I thought you forgot to square it.

First of all thank you Redbelly98, Leong, and Sheneron for all your help. It's very much appreciated. I got the right answer which came out to be 0.914 =D

now on to the 2nd part:

2. Find the direction of its average velocity between these two points. ( degree is counterwise from +x axis. )

what i did was take the inverse tangent of -0.242/0.881 = 12.41

I also tried -12.41 degree and it was also wrong

:(

I would try sketching a figure and locate the two given points on the figure. Draw the right triangle that is appropriate for figuring out the angle.

find the inverse tangent is right.
the two values are wrong and irrelevant.

I sketched a right triangle, and I for the height i added up the y-components and for the x i added up all the x-components. the hypot i put the magnitude.

So to find the angle, does it mean i can use either cos, sin, and tangent?

Leong said:
find the inverse tangent is right.
the two values are wrong and irrelevant.

oh wait! i posted before i saw your responds. I'll take a look again at my numbers.

figure attached.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 499
I did inverse tangent of sum of y's over the sum of x's. Thus: tangent-1 (2.125/11.24) = 10.70 .. am i doing this right?

I'm sorry I'm new here. How do i approve your pending graph?

you can't. only the moderators can.

i think u will just have to wait.

no it is wrong too.

teababy said:
I did inverse tangent of sum of y's over the sum of x's. Thus: tangent-1 (2.125/11.24) = 10.70 .. am i doing this right?

It's a mistake to take the sums here. Look at your figure again ... the side along x is no where close to 11 units long. Think more carefully about how to calculate that side length. Then do the same for the y-direction side.

1. What is the definition of average velocity of a meteor?

The average velocity of a meteor refers to the overall speed and direction of a meteor as it travels through the Earth's atmosphere.

2. How is the average velocity of a meteor calculated?

The average velocity of a meteor is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the meteor by the total amount of time it took to travel that distance.

3. What factors can affect the average velocity of a meteor?

The average velocity of a meteor can be affected by factors such as the size and mass of the meteor, the angle at which it enters the atmosphere, and the composition of the atmosphere.

4. Can the average velocity of a meteor change as it travels through the atmosphere?

Yes, the average velocity of a meteor can change as it encounters different layers of the atmosphere, which can affect its speed and direction.

5. How is the average velocity of a meteor different from its instantaneous velocity?

The average velocity of a meteor takes into account the overall distance and time of its journey, while the instantaneous velocity refers to its speed and direction at a specific moment in time.