Calculating Average Velocity of a Meteor using Radar Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the average velocity of a meteor moving from point A to point B. The attempt at a solution includes incorrect calculations, but the correct method is eventually determined to be using the Pythagorean theorem.
tater08

Homework Statement

A meteor streaking through the night sky is located with radar. At point A its coordinates are (5.60 km, 1.40 km, and 1.10 s later its has moved to point B with coordinates (6.12 km, 0.900 km).

Find the magnitude of its average velocity between these two points

Homework Equations

none really

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the vx to be 0.473 km/s and vy to be -0.455 km/s. From this I took average velocity of the magnitude to be y/x to be -0.455/0.473. But the answer is wrong. Am I on the right track or am i doing it completely wrong? Please Help! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
"From this I took average velocity of the magnitude to be y/x to be -0.455/0.473"

Not sure what this...

Anyway, given the components vx and vy you have, the magnitude of this vector, and thus the average speed, is

vav = sqrt((vx)^2 + (vy)^2)

haha thanks, i figured it out that i was way off and should have used the pathagerom therom. thank you for the help anways!

Related to Calculating Average Velocity of a Meteor using Radar Coordinates

1. What is a vector meteor problem?

A vector meteor problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the trajectory of a meteor using vector equations. It takes into account the speed, direction, and location of the meteor to determine its path.

2. How is a vector meteor problem solved?

A vector meteor problem is solved by using vector algebra and trigonometry to calculate the magnitude and direction of the meteor's velocity at different points in its path. This information is then used to plot the meteor's trajectory.

3. What are the key components of a vector meteor problem?

The key components of a vector meteor problem include the initial position and velocity of the meteor, the acceleration due to gravity, and any external forces acting on the meteor (such as air resistance or gravitational pull from other objects).

4. What are some real-life applications of vector meteor problems?

Vector meteor problems are used in fields such as astrophysics, meteorology, and aerospace engineering to predict the paths of meteors, asteroids, and other celestial objects. They are also used in the design and navigation of spacecraft and missiles.

5. What are some tips for solving vector meteor problems?

Some tips for solving vector meteor problems include breaking the problem down into smaller steps, drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, and using vector algebra and trigonometry formulas to solve for unknown variables. It is also important to check units and conversions to ensure accurate calculations.