Awesome geeky show: The Big Bang Theory

In summary: interesting. I don't know if I would call it nerdy though. It seems like it is more of a passion thing. It's not like people go around repeating definitions of words to each other like Sheldon does. It's more like they have a deep understanding of the subject.It is... interesting. I don't know if I would call it nerdy though. It seems like it is more of a passion thing. It's not like people go around repeating definitions of words to each other like Sheldon does. It's more like they have a deep understanding of the subject.
Mephisto
Just thought I would tell you guys about this new show called The Big Bang Theory. It is very geeky, and there is tons of Physics/Math/Computer Science jokes everywhere. There is also plenty of Quantum Mechanics and other really good stuff, I think most of you would really like it... (i just discovered it myself couple of days ago)

Here is a link to a low quality Pilot Part1 on Youtube for you to check out:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gah, I feel awkward listening to these characters make these jokes haha. Maybe its because I knew a few similar in school.

well the youtube vid I am linking to was just taken down, so that's a bummer... still, worth checking out

I didn't really like the show. I don't really like sitcoms and I don't appreciate all the making fun of geeks.

Likes 1 person
Last edited:
Certainly it's silly, but in a funny kind of way. I don't know about sexy - maybe I'm too old. :biggrin:

I don't watch TV since it's too slow! Even the news is slow. How can people say so many words and still not get to the bottom line? Besides, there are too many other things to do.

I do watch a little TV when I stay with a batchelor friend when I'm working on the west coast. Fortunately he has TiVo, so the commercials are skipped and one can fast forward. But since I usually work 12-16 hrs/day, I don't watch much TV.

Well I watched the first three & every single joke is on some cliche. Some are funny, but I got tired of them real fast. I'll wait a few episodes till the writers have to get new material.

And they mix everything up. Physics nerds don't hang out with WoW nerds, who also don't mix with ddr nerds. Can we take class into account, please? -_-

I'm split on this show. It is very funny. But they over play the nerdiness wayyy too much. No physics people are this nerdy, especially not professors. It is very funny though.

RocketSurgery said:
I'm split on this show. It is very funny. But they over play the nerdiness wayyy too much. No physics people are this nerdy, especially not professors.

Oh.. I assure you that there are!

cristo said:
Oh.. I assure you that there are!

Haha. Oh my. I mean I'll admit I have some things in common with Sheldon. But all the comicbook and scifi stuff eeeeeek.

I love this show. It's so cool, and you can actually learn some things from it too, supprisingly. :biggrin: Everyone needs to see it atleast once, you will surely be addicted :smile:

It seems that all Sheldon does is repeat the definitions of common words. That is annoying.

Darkiekurdo said:
It seems that all Sheldon does is repeat the definitions of common words. That is annoying.

Yeah, but it's cute and he can be adorable. You can learn things, too, even though the word are common, it's interesting. :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
Yeah, but it's cute and he can be adorable. You can learn things, too, even though the word are common, it's interesting. :biggrin:
True, but it is annoying that they pass doing that off as being intelligent.

Darkiekurdo said:

Agreed. It just illuminates an existing problem with society. Intelligent people create technology. The lesser intelligent people use the technology to get around having to do/learn things. People start to forget why learning and hard work are important.

The point is people these days are lazy and have lower standards of intelligence and many people take pride in the fact that they don't know certain things.

Example: As a physics major people often say to me "Wow your a physics major, Geeze I was sooo bad at math! As soon as they started mixing letters with the numbers I just gave up!"

RocketSurgery said:
Agreed. It just illuminates an existing problem with society. Intelligent people create technology. The lesser intelligent people use the technology to get around having to do/learn things. People start to forget why learning and hard work are important.

The point is people these days are lazy and have lower standards of intelligence and many people take pride in the fact that they don't know certain things.

Example: As a physics major people often say to me "Wow your a physics major, Geeze I was sooo bad at math! As soon as they started mixing letters with the numbers I just gave up!"
It is extremely easy nowadays to impress a person. Just say you like reading, followed by some big words about penis size and conclude with bragging about how you think mathematics is easy. :smile:

Darkiekurdo said:
It is extremely easy nowadays to impress a person. Just say you like reading, followed by some big words about penis size and conclude with bragging about how you think mathematics is easy. :smile:

It's really not as easy as that to impress a person :biggrin: But I'm glad you seem to think so; you have a lot of learning to do :smile:

mcknia07 said:
It's really not as easy as that to impress a person :biggrin: But I'm glad you seem to think so; you have a lot of learning to do :smile:
Hmm, in my experience it is. But then again, I am only 15 and most of my classmates are idiots so my observations are not very reliable. :biggrin:

Darkiekurdo said:
Hmm, in my experience it is. But then again, I am only 15 and most of my classmates are idiots so my observations are not very reliable. :biggrin:

Haha, so yeah, but it's all good. It's good to see that younger kids are taking an interest in this stuff. I love it :smile:

Darkiekurdo said:

No it is reliable unfortunately. Don't read a book on my college campus. You will be greeted with "Hey is that a book?"

me: "Yea its..."
person: "Why u readun?"
person:" Books arrr soo booorang" "Just lern from the teee veh"
me: "0.o"

:rolleyes::rofl:

Darkiekurdo said:

You also have to remember that it's just a show that's meant to be funny and in no way convey the way intelligence is supposed to be interpreted. The show is also centered around Sheldon and Leonard whom are both fallable... which is what most of the shows material is centered around. Sheldon is the neurotic while Leonard is ineffectual and timid.

It's just a sitcom guys.:smile:

B. Elliott said:
You also have to remember that it's just a show that's meant to be funny and in no way convey the way intelligence is supposed to be interpreted. The show is also centered around Sheldon and Leonard whom are both fallable... which is what most of the shows material is centered around. Sheldon is the neurotic while Leonard is ineffectual and timid.

It's just a sitcom guys.:smile:

the inevitable voice of reason:biggrin:

RocketSurgery said:
No it is reliable unfortunately. Don't read a book on my college campus. You will be greeted with "Hey is that a book?"

me: "Yea its..."
person: "Why u readun?"
person:" Books arrr soo booorang" "Just lern from the teee veh"
me: "0.o"

:rolleyes::rofl:

:rofl: Haha, now-a-days, it seems like if anyone who is even looking at a book is smart, and no one can figure out why they would want to do so :rofl: I think more people should :biggrin: There are many wonderful things in a nice book :smile: Not to mention, there are some good pictures to go along with the reading, lol. they can teach you just as much

mcknia07 said:
:rofl: Haha, now-a-days, it seems like if anyone who is even looking at a book is smart, and no one can figure out why they would want to do so :rofl: I think more people should :biggrin: There are many wonderful things in a nice book :smile: Not to mention, there are some good pictures to go along with the reading, lol. they can teach you just as much

Indeed. Most people nowadays get their knowledge of the world from MTV news.:rofl:

I am a geek from all angles of attack (including those of opportunity ;)), so I'll have to check it out.

Darkiekurdo said:

You are right though, and I'm sure you are reliable, I'm not saying that you aren't.. I'm sorry if it came across as that. It's just really cool tha you are into math and stuff, I hope more kids do become more interested, it's a great field :cool:

RocketSurgery said:
Indeed. Most people nowadays get their knowledge of the world from MTV news.:rofl:

Yeah, and it sure is not very reliable, and not to mention, kinda dumb, :rolleyes: Though, not all of it, I have learned some things on there too. :rofl:

mcknia07 said:
Yeah, and it sure is not very reliable, and not to mention, kinda dumb, :rolleyes: Though, not all of it, I have learned some things on there too. :rofl:

Yeah everything I learned about human relationships I learned on MTV. Just kidding:uhh: :rofl:

RocketSurgery said:
the inevitable voice of reason:biggrin:

:rofl: I do agree with what you said about laziness though. As new technology comes about and older tech becomes more and more affordable, I think it somewhat takes away the drive from people (the majority) to innovate. Going back say, 100 or 200 years, people had to innovate more and were forced to learn, otherwise they couldn't get a task accomplished. Having to hand-make farm equipment and tools rather than just buying what they need as an example. I somewhat see technology as a two-sided coin... there's the people that it makes life easier for (less innovation) and there's the people that make or maintain the technology (more innovation). A slow, widening of a gap, if you will.

RocketSurgery said:
Yeah everything I learned about human relationships I learned on MTV. Just kidding:uhh: :rofl:

Hahahaha:rofl::rolleyes: It does show you how NOT to be or act, lol :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
You are right though, and I'm sure you are reliable, I'm not saying that you aren't.. I'm sorry if it came across as that. It's just really cool tha you are into math and stuff, I hope more kids do become more interested, it's a great field :cool:
No it didn't come across like that. It's just that I don't really hang around with, how shall I put it, "intelligent people" so my experience with impressing people is probably a whole lot different than others. That's why I said it is unreliable. :smile:

I've been self-studying mathematics since I was twelve and I've been enjoying it all the way. Unfortunately most people don't see why, but that's their loss.

Darkiekurdo said:
No it didn't come across like that. It's just that I don't really hang around with, how shall I put it, "intelligent people" so my experience with impressing people is probably a whole lot different than others. That's why I said it is unreliable. :smile:

I've been self-studying mathematics since I was twelve and I've been enjoying it all the way. Unfortunately most people don't see why, but that's their loss.

It's ok, I don't either. They always make me feel like the smart one of the group, but I just feel like one of them, lol.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Well keep up the good work, and maybe one day, they will see...:biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
It's ok, I don't either. They always make me feel like the smart one of the group, but I just feel like one of them, lol.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Well keep up the good work, and maybe one day, they will see...:biggrin:
Me too. :rofl:

Let's hope so!