Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Awesome geeky show: The Big Bang Theory

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    Just thought I would tell you guys about this new show called The Big Bang Theory. It is very geeky, and there is tons of Physics/Math/Computer Science jokes everywhere. There is also plenty of Quantum Mechanics and other really good stuff, I think most of you would really like it... (i just discovered it myself couple of days ago)

Here is a link to a low quality Pilot Part1 on Youtube for you to check out:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2
    Gah, I feel awkward listening to these characters make these jokes haha. Maybe its because I knew a few similar in school.

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    well the youtube vid im linking to was just taken down, so thats a bummer... still, worth checking out

5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

6. Oct 30, 2007 #5

Mk

I didn't really like the show. I don't really like sitcoms and I don't appreciate all the making fun of geeks.

7. Oct 30, 2007 #6
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  8. Oct 30, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Certainly it's silly, but in a funny kind of way. I don't know about sexy - maybe I'm too old. :biggrin:

I don't watch TV since it's too slow! Even the news is slow. How can people say so many words and still not get to the bottom line? Besides, there are too many other things to do.

I do watch a little TV when I stay with a batchelor friend when I'm working on the west coast. Fortunately he has TiVo, so the commercials are skipped and one can fast forward. But since I usually work 12-16 hrs/day, I don't watch much TV.

9. Oct 31, 2007 #8
    Well I watched the first three & every single joke is on some cliche. Some are funny, but I got tired of them real fast. I'll wait a few episodes till the writers have to get new material.

10. Oct 31, 2007 #9
    And they mix everything up. Physics nerds don't hang out with WoW nerds, who also don't mix with ddr nerds. Can we take class into account, please? -_-

11. May 6, 2008 #10
    I'm split on this show. It is very funny. But they over play the nerdiness wayyy too much. No physics people are this nerdy, especially not professors. It is very funny though.

12. May 6, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh.. I assure you that there are!

13. May 6, 2008 #12
    Haha. Oh my. I mean I'll admit I have some things in common with Sheldon. But all the comicbook and scifi stuff eeeeeek.

14. May 6, 2008 #13
    I love this show. It's so cool, and you can actually learn some things from it too, supprisingly. :biggrin: Everyone needs to see it atleast once, you will surely be addicted :smile:

15. May 7, 2008 #14
    It seems that all Sheldon does is repeat the definitions of common words. That is annoying.

16. May 7, 2008 #15
    Yeah, but it's cute and he can be adorable. You can learn things, too, even though the word are common, it's interesting. :biggrin:

17. May 7, 2008 #16
    True, but it is annoying that they pass doing that off as being intelligent.

18. May 7, 2008 #17
    Agreed. It just illuminates an existing problem with society. Intelligent people create technology. The lesser intelligent people use the technology to get around having to do/learn things. People start to forget why learning and hard work are important.

The point is people these days are lazy and have lower standards of intelligence and many people take pride in the fact that they don't know certain things.

Example: As a physics major people often say to me "Wow your a physics major, Geeze I was sooo bad at math! As soon as they started mixing letters with the numbers I just gave up!"

19. May 7, 2008 #18
    It is extremely easy nowadays to impress a person. Just say you like reading, followed by some big words about penis size and conclude with bragging about how you think mathematics is easy. :smile:

20. May 7, 2008 #19
    It's really not as easy as that to impress a person :biggrin: But I'm glad you seem to think so; you have alot of learning to do :smile:

21. May 7, 2008 #20
    Hmm, in my experience it is. But then again, I am only 15 and most of my classmates are idiots so my observations are not very reliable. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?