Axial loading and the change of wall thickness in a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the change in wall thickness of a hollow cylinder under axial loading. The length, outside diameter, initial wall thickness, load size, Young's modulus, and Poisson's ratio are given. The speaker is struggling to understand the concept and has computed the shortening and change in diameter but is unsure about the change in wall thickness. It is suggested that one should consider the "missing" solid cylinder inside the hollow one and use the strain equation to calculate the change in wall thickness.
Appa
I'm having trouble with understanding how to calculate a wall thickness change in a hollow cylinder unde axial loading. The length, outside diameter and initial wall thickness are given as well as the size of the load, Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio.
I guess this isn't really a hard question but I just can't get my head around it... I computed the shortening of the pipe as well as the change in diameter, but I don't understand how you should go about working out the change in wall thickness, as I guess you need to think about the solid cylinder that's "missing" from inside the hollow one but do I just calculate the amount that the solid one would extend and then subtract it from how much the hollow one has extended? Sounds wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is correct. It is the same thing you get if you just say that the strain in wall thickness is equal to minus the axial compression strain times the Poisson ratio.

1. How does axial loading affect the change of wall thickness in a cylinder?

Axial loading refers to the application of a force along the axis of a cylinder. This force causes the cylinder to deform, resulting in a change in its wall thickness. The amount of change in wall thickness is directly proportional to the magnitude of the applied force.

2. What factors can influence the change of wall thickness in a cylinder under axial loading?

The change of wall thickness in a cylinder due to axial loading is affected by various factors such as the material properties of the cylinder, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the geometry of the cylinder. Other factors such as temperature and external pressure can also have an impact.

3. Is there a limit to how much the wall thickness of a cylinder can change under axial loading?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of change in wall thickness that a cylinder can undergo under axial loading. This limit is determined by the material properties of the cylinder and is known as the yield strength. Once the yield strength is exceeded, the cylinder will undergo permanent deformation.

4. How does the change in wall thickness affect the overall strength of a cylinder?

The change in wall thickness can significantly impact the overall strength of a cylinder. As the wall thickness decreases, the cylinder becomes more vulnerable to buckling and other forms of failure. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the effects of axial loading on wall thickness when designing a cylinder to ensure its strength and stability.

5. Can the change in wall thickness be reversed after the axial loading is removed?

In most cases, the change in wall thickness due to axial loading cannot be completely reversed. However, the elastic deformation of the cylinder can be partially recovered once the load is removed. This means that the cylinder will return to its original shape, but its wall thickness will still be slightly different from before the loading.