Axisymmetric FEA model for magnetic flux distortion

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of distorted flux depictions in axisymmetric FEA models of magnets and their fields when using the flux line mode. The F.E.M.M. system is being used, and while all integrals and graphs give correct values, the depicted lines of flux appear to have distorted density. The individual asking for help is asked for more details and plots to better understand the issue, and they mention having five images to share but are unable to attach them to the thread.
wprince007
Why do axisymmetric FEA models of magnets and their fields make the field farther from the axis appear denser than it really is when the flux line mode is enabled? I'm using the F.E.M.M. system at the moment. All integrals and graphs give correct values, but the depicted lines of flux appear distorted density. The planar versions are fine; it's just the axisymmetric versions that appear to have distorted flux depictions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give us more details about your models? Some plots would help. There is not enough information in the original post to isolate the issue. It would help if you could explain which integrals and graphs you have been observing, and if you could relay that information for both the planar and axisymmetric models. Also, when you say "planar" what exactly do you mean? Are you referring to a 2D plot showing a slice of a 3D model?

I have five images of plots and diagrams to elucidate my query as you asked, but apparently PF doesn't allow attached picture files. Is it possible to include images in this thread? Or should I just describe the plots and diagrams with text? Let me know if there's a way to attach images to this thread because that would make this whole process much quicker and much easier to understand. I thought the image icon in the tool bar would allow me to attach picture files, but I guess I was mistaken. Thank you very much.

1. What is an axisymmetric FEA model for magnetic flux distortion?

An axisymmetric finite element analysis (FEA) model is a mathematical representation of a physical system that is symmetric around an axis. In the context of magnetic flux distortion, this means that the model is used to study how magnetic fields behave in a system that is cylindrical or spherical in shape. This type of model is commonly used in engineering and scientific research to understand and optimize the distribution of magnetic fields in various applications.

2. How does an axisymmetric FEA model work?

An axisymmetric FEA model works by breaking down a complex system into smaller, simpler elements that can be mathematically analyzed. These elements are connected to each other at specific points, and the behavior of the entire system is then calculated by considering the interactions between these elements. In the case of magnetic flux distortion, the model takes into account the geometry and material properties of the system, as well as the effects of external forces and boundary conditions.

3. What are the advantages of using an axisymmetric FEA model for magnetic flux distortion?

An axisymmetric FEA model offers several advantages for studying magnetic flux distortion. Firstly, it allows for a more accurate and detailed analysis of the magnetic field behavior in a system compared to simpler analytical methods. Additionally, the model can be easily modified and adjusted to simulate different scenarios and optimize the design of the system. Finally, FEA models can be run on powerful computers, allowing for faster and more efficient simulations compared to physical experiments.

4. Are there any limitations to using an axisymmetric FEA model for magnetic flux distortion?

While an axisymmetric FEA model can provide valuable insights into magnetic flux distortion, it also has some limitations. For example, the accuracy of the model depends on the quality of the data and assumptions used to create it. In some cases, the model may not be able to capture all the complexities of the real system, leading to potential errors in the results. Therefore, it is important to carefully validate and verify the model before drawing any conclusions from its results.

5. How is an axisymmetric FEA model for magnetic flux distortion used in practical applications?

An axisymmetric FEA model can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as designing electrical motors, generators, transformers, and other devices that utilize magnetic fields. By simulating different scenarios and optimizing the design using the model, engineers can improve the efficiency and performance of these devices. Additionally, the model can be used to study the effects of external factors, such as temperature and mechanical stress, on the magnetic field behavior, allowing for better understanding and control of these systems.