1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B field ?

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    Lets say I have a negative line charge on a long thin rod, if I am at rest with respect to that rod I will see an E field. But If I am moving with respect to that rod I will see a B field. So why are people looking for magnetic monopoles, If B fields are E fields in disguise, wouldn't the electrons need to show magnetic monopoles if they existed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi cragar! :smile:
    yes, but it's only a tiny-weeny B field …

it's still mostly an E field :wink:

E2/c2 - B2 is invariant (the same in all frames), so since it's positive for the stationary rod, it's always positive

(if the speed is tanhu, then |E| = cE0coshu and |B| = E0sinhu)

similary, a stationary magnetic monople (if it exists) will have E = 0, and so E2/c2 - B2 will be negative, in that and any other frame …

there's no frame transformation that will turn pure E into pure B :smile:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    I though it was E(dot)B that was invariant . Or is your way also equivalent. We can have frames where there is pure B then some E and B, but that probably doesn't help my case.

5. Jul 6, 2011 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook