Finding the Centre of Mass Using Pappus's 2nd Theorem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the center of mass of a frame using Pappus's second theorem. The first method involves finding the individual center of mass of each semi-circle and then summing them up, while the second method uses the formula for center of mass and Pappus's theorem. The only issue is the assumption that the straight edge has mass and the question of what happens if there are additional curves or more than one curve. The final conclusion is that the same answer can be reached using both methods.
unscientific

Homework Statement

The question is attached in the first picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

The method they used makes perfect sense, but I can't see what's wrong with my method.

Their method
1. Find individual centre of mass of each semi-circle by Pappus's 2nd theorem
2. Sum up both moment contributions
3. Divide by total mass

My Method

Letting L = diameter of each semi-circle, and let d = distance from straight edge to centre of mass of entire frame.

First, we know the centre of mass must be half-way along the straight edge. Then, it must be perpendicularly above the straight edge.

Area of frame S = 2∏L2

By Pappus's 2nd theorem,

2∏L2 = (2∏d)(∏L)

d = L/∏

The only assumption I can think of here is that the straight edge has mass, which will affect the distance from the straight edge to centre of mass.

Thinking from the perspective of pappus's 2nd theorem, they assume that the only curve is the one above the y-axis. What happens if there's an additional curve y = 0?

In physical terms, the additional mass will definitely affect the height of c.g. above the y-axis. What happens if there is more than 1 curve? Is there still a way to describe the c.g. then?

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 519
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 476
  • pappus.jpg
    pappus.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
Adapting the centre of mass formula to fit Pappus's terms, this is what I've found:

I have proven that the same answer can be reached..

Attachments

• pappus2.jpg
    pappus2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 485
  • pappus3.jpg
    pappus3.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 453

1. What is the Centre of Mass?

The Centre of Mass is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. Why is finding the Centre of Mass important?

Finding the Centre of Mass is important because it helps us understand how an object will behave under the influence of external forces. It also helps in designing structures and machines that are stable and balanced.

3. How is the Centre of Mass calculated?

The Centre of Mass is calculated by taking the sum of the products of the individual masses and their respective distances from a reference point, divided by the total mass of the object.

4. Can the Centre of Mass be outside of the object?

Yes, the Centre of Mass can be outside of the object if the object has an irregular shape or if the mass is not evenly distributed. In some cases, the Centre of Mass may even be outside of the physical boundaries of the object.

5. How does the Centre of Mass affect an object's stability?

The Centre of Mass affects an object's stability by determining whether the object will tip over or remain upright when subjected to external forces. If the Centre of Mass is located above the object's base of support, it will be stable, but if it is outside of the base of support, the object may tip over.